1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modeless userform in Mac Excel 2011

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by BigMacToday, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigMacToday

BigMacToday Thread Starter

I'm an experienced VB-Windows programmer, trying to get started with Macintosh Excel 2011. I can't make a form modeless. The code is simple--I have a worksheet and a UserForm1 that has nothing in it except a label that says "test". This is the only sub:

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
    MsgBox "before"
    UserForm1.Show
    MsgBox "After"
    Stop
    End Sub

The output displays "Before", then launches the UserForm1 window, but never gets to "After" unless I close the UserForm1 window. I'd like to have UserForm1 stay open but allow me to enter values in the worksheet.

I've tried replacing the UserForm1.Show line with everything I can think of:
    UserForm1.Show 0
    UserForm1.Show vbModeless
    UserForm1.Show False

...but nothing changes. I expect I'm missing something simple, and I'd appreciate someone pointing out what it is.

BTW, as far as I can find, Excel 2011 does not have a ShowModal property. But it does seem to know what Modal means--at least it offers "([Modal])" as a choice when I type "UserForm1.Show".

Thanks very much.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I don't think Modeless forms are supported on the Mac. I have heard of this same issue before years ago with previous versions of Excel. All three lines of code you provided should work without issue on a PC.

Rollin

3. BigMacToday

BigMacToday Thread Starter

Thanks. You are probably right that Excel 2011 does not support modeless forms. That would explain the behavior of my system. I have not been able to find that explicitly said in the Excel 2011 help info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017872