1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Models of DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AhrenBa, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am looking to buy a DVD-RW for my Dell 4700.

I am either looking at getting a Plextor, Lite-On, or BenQ drive. Can anyone suggest some good models from those manufacturers? Thanks :)

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Plexor PX-716aL pricy though

3. Gonzo1970

Gonzo1970

Sony DW-Q30A.. CDRW/DVDRW Been great for me..

And at $46 bucks with software, its not a bad deal either.

-Gonz

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

A good place to get good information is www.cdfreaks.com

I used some (retail) ASUS 1608P DVD Writers in a couple of builds and on the ASUS forum a lot of people were having problems updating their firmware. It was then found that ASUS was marketing both an OEM and a RETAIL 1608P and the firmware for the retail version would not work on the OEM version. The kicker here was that neither drive was manufactured by ASUS but were in fact re-branded PIONEER 109's. On another occassion when I was using some SONY DVD-ROM's and found that they were re-branded LITE-ON.

There is a lot of re-branding that goes on it optical drives and it seems that some of the guys at cdfreaks are really up to date on what is what. I would certainly check their forums before I purchased any optical drive. Just my opinion. :)

5. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone! Thanks win2kpro for the link to CDFreaks, its a great site. I appreciate it! :)

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're very welcome :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice