1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem and wireless router predictably drops internet connection after power outage

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BenBr11, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BenBr11

BenBr11 Thread Starter

Immediately after a power outage, my internet connection predictably drops after a set period of time or usage. It is either after about 30 min or 5-15 mins of watching Netflix. I have a modem hooked up to a wireless router and use the network on my iPhone, laptop and Roku. Since the problem, I have dropped to just having my laptop connected but this has not helped. The wireless network will disappear after the 5 - 20 mins, the light on the modem and router will show no internet (all other lights are normal). Internet connection will be reestablished if I either unplug both the modem and the router (not just one or the other) OR if I unplug the ethernet line from the modem to the router and plug it directly into my laptop (the internet light on the modem will go from "off" to "on"). Despite internet connection working from transferring from the router to the laptop if I connect it back to the router, the internet lights goes off again (resolves upon unplugging and plugging modem and router back in). The internet has not yet dropped when it is physically plugged into my laptop.

I have tried the following:
    -Powercycling (temp fix until it crashes again)
    -Plugging into a different outlet (I cannot connect it to a different phone line, only have 1 with DSL. Also, I do not have phone service or cable, just internet via DSL)
    -Resetting modem
    -Resetting 2 different routers
    -Calling ISP, their test of the modem was inconclusive

Again, my wifi does not see my network whenever the internet is dropped or the ethernet cord is unplugged from the modem. The outlets I have it plugged into has some type of electrical issue, two electrical devices have shorted out in the room they are in. I do not think this issue is electrical, everything seems to have constant power (unless the power outage shorted out something in the modem).

Below are some details of my modem and router. I will provide any additional info requested. I will gladly buy a new modem but I want to see if it can be fixed first.

My modem: Westell
    WireSpeed Dual Connect
    Model: A90-210030-04

I have no idea what the stats below are, I just saw similar things in other forum posts I saw before posting this. I'll be happy to provide more.

DSL Statistics
    Line State: Up
    Modulation: G.DMT-Mode
    Data Path: Interleaved

SN Margin (db)
    --Down Stream Path: 7.5
    --Up Stream Path: not defined
    Line Attenuation (db)
    --Down Stream Path: 55.0
    --Up Stream Path: not defined
    CRC Errors
    --Down Stream Path: 3
    --Up Stream Path: 6

Router: Linksys E2000 (keep in mind I tried another completely different brand and it had identical problems)

Internet Connection Type: Automatic Config - DHCP (I tried PPPoE and it never got a valid IP address from my ISP)

I can provide more details upon request.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After you write that I cannot understand how you can then say

I was thinking electrical just from the thread title. Reinforced by your first five words: "Immediately after a power outage."

Whether the Westell and/or Linksys is damaged or if the whole cause is the "funny" electrical system I cannot tell. I think you should have a qualified electrician check out the system.

You tried PPPoE where? Unless you have the Westell bridged the PPPoE is specified in the WAN section of its router portion.

3. BenBr11

BenBr11 Thread Starter

Apologies for being contradicting and confusing. I'm certainly not very knowledgable about computers. I'm trying to regurgitate things from other forum posts I searched before posting here and probably have included irrelevant information in my post.

I emphasized after a power outage because when I searched various things on the internet, some forum posts mentioned that there was a problem with the physical DSL line. The way I wrote it was an indirect and confusing way to try and clue at that possibility. It may be best to approach this issue assuming that everything is fine electronically.

DHCP/PPPoE - maybe I have everything set up correctly in the that regards, I honestly don't know. I included the detail because it was an issue in a semi-similiar issue in a forum post. I'm trying to communicate information too intelligibly on a subject that I really only know what a few irrelevant forum posts say.

Again, I apologize for mistakes and contradictory information. If you can look past it, I would greatly appreciate some advice.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is no need for you to apologize. :) I see nothing wrong with your information; I just have a different opinion about the likelihood of an electrical problem being behind this very strange problem.

I don't disagree that the phone line or the DSL service itself could also be at fault.

However, the following is what makes me think the Linksys, not the Westell modem/router. is most at fault:
    I am assuming that the Westall is configured in its default state of both modem and router. If you have it bridged to act as a modem only then I am more confused than I realize.

But there are other symptoms, including the timing, that are very confusing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice