1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem answers every phone call

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamieflora, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamieflora

jamieflora Thread Starter

I have looked all over the net and here and can't find anyone with the same problem. I have tried everything I can think of and still no progress.

Windows XP
    Lucent Win Modem
    HP Pavilion 752N

About a week ago I noticed that my computer started to answer all of my phone calls after two rings. If I picked it up after one ring the computer wouldn't answer. I turned off my All-in-one printer/faxer/scanner/copier and my computer still answers. I open up the all-in-one software program to see if it is answering but it isn't. I also tried it with Microsoft's fax program that comes with XP. It doesn't show any activity when the computer answers the phone.

I have opened up the task manager and I can't see any process that starts up when the computer answers either. I have also ended every process that I can and the computer still answers after two rings.

When I disable the modem (Right click on MyComputer/Manage/Device Manager), the computer doesn't answer any more, so I believe that something is using the modem to automatically answer but I don't know how to find out which program. I looked in the modem log and I can't tell if it says which program used the modem to answer the phone call (Maybe its tells me but I couldn't see it).

I downloaded the newest driver from Agere, 8.22 (I had 8.1 on my computer) but it didn't help either.

I hope that I provided enough info for someone to help. If not, ask me some questions so I can figure this out.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

P.S. When I turn the computer off it doesn't answer either. Obviously, huh? So, something is telling the modem to answer the call.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I know you checked it but it sure sounds like the Windows XP Fax Service is answering it because 2 rings is the default for the "Receive Fax" setting.

Try this to be sure,

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Printers and Faxes. Click on the Fax icon and then click on Tools>Configure Fax. Follow the prompts and be sure "Receive Fax" in the third dialog screen isn't selected.

3. jamieflora

Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't work. I had already done that. I went back and double-checked and it isn't set to receive. Also, you are right, that indeed the default is 2 rings on the receive end. Microsoft's fax was set to not receive calls. So just for fun, I unchecked "send" also, but my computer still answers after 2 rings.

Any more help from anyone would greatly be appreciated. My phone is unusable basically when my computer is on.

Thanks again,

Jamie

4. jamieflora

For everyone interested,

I have finally taken the time to figure out how to solve my problem. I wish I would have thought about it a long time ago, but at least it is likely fixed now.

I right clicked on "my computer" and then clicked on "manage". Once the window popped up I went into "device manager" and then clicked on "the modems +". Then I clicked on my modem (Lucent Win Modem) and went into its "driver tab". I then uninstalled the driver. Once that process was done I rebooted my computer. I don't know exactly what happened after that but I believe my computer recognized the modem and noticed that the driver was not installed. I guess it proceeded to install it again and voila, it seems to be working again. The fax machine no longer answers every phone call on the 2nd ring.

So far it has been successful.

Thanks to all who helped,

Jamie

5. mljeffrey

mljeffrey

Jamie,

Thank you for your insight. I have been fighting with the same problem for about a month and finally ran accross your post while doing a search.

Take care.
    Mark

(y)

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

jamieflora, you probably already have it, but just in case...
    i have the same modm as you, and there is an updated driver for it, but i dont know how old that update is, because i got my modem a long time ago, and i dont use that one anymore.
    just so you know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice