1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem at half speed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guylin, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guylin

guylin Thread Starter

I DOWNLOADED A MODEM BOOST PROGRAM THE OTHER DAY AND I INSTALLED IT'BUT AFTER THE INSTALL I FOUND OUT THAT MY MODEM SPEED WAS CUT IN HALF AND I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO RESET THE CONFIGURATION FOR IT.IT IS A SUPRAMAX 56I VOICE PCI MODEM,I DELETED THE MODEM BOOST PROGRAM AND REINSTALLED THE MODEM DRIVER BUT ON THE MODEM TEST PAGE THAT I GO TO SAYS ITS STILL L ESS THAN HALF MY NORMAL SPEED,I RUN WINDOWS 98 SE 200 MEG CPU AND 128 RAM,CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME RECTIFY THIS PROBLEM,I AM SURE IT IS NOTHING MAJOR BUT I CANT FIGURE IT OUT,THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO MIGHT HELP ME, MY NAME IS GUY.EMAIL [email protected]

PS I USE AOL FOR MY PROVIDER IF THAT HELPS

2. pronute

pronute

Was it working normally before you installed that modem boost? It is possible that the software reconfigured the modem and all you have to do is go into modem properties and bump up your port settings these modem programs never really work and sometimes do more harm then good by loading spy ware etc. And AOL doesn't help much ether it takes over your system settings and the software you just loaded may have corrupted AOL modem settings. Not that it makes much difference though you have dial up on a 200MHz processor with a small amount of memory and if your phone lines aren’t in tip top shape you will not notice much of a difference any way

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

I would go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager...then delete the modem.....reboot your system, put your drivers back in and see if that takes care of your problem.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please do not use all caps in your posts as this is considered to be yelling and is considered rude. Thanks

5. guylin

guylin Thread Starter

im sorry i am here for the first time today,i will be more careful in the future. guy

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    No problem, and welcome to TSG. One last bit of advice do not post your email address in your threads. Less chance of getting emails from kooks that way. not that there are any here as members.

7. cnclathrop

cnclathrop

if you have backed up your registry you might be able to step back and recover this but I do know that modem so called boosters change registry values that change settings for ttl , rwin and mtu settings If you did not back up your registry you might want to try max mtu to restore back to windows controled settings

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/225442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice