1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem being shifty

Discussion in 'Networking' started by emeraldfox76, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldfox76

emeraldfox76 Thread Starter

Hello all! My boyfriend recently moved into a new house and ordered internet from a local place called Armstrong. They came and installed a modem (which looks really old, imho), but didn't give any discs or anything. At first, we just plugged it into his laptop and used that. Then after a few days he hooked up his mother's old Dell to it. The Dell is 40gb and the slowest thing I've encountered. The modem in question is an RCA, one of which I couldn't even find online. It's a big grey box and has a label saying when they checked it in 2009, it was "Good", whatever that means.

Anyway, after a week or two of using the internet on the dell, my bf wanted to use his laptop again, it being faster and such. The modem is not happy about it's new living arrangement, and the ISP told him that it will only recognize the dell now, for some reason. Me, having some knowledge of computers, thought maybe there was a way around this, so I tried everything under the sun. I bought a Motorola Surfboard and replaced the RCA modem, but strangely, it says limited connectivity, even when I plug it into the dell.

Is there any way to get the new modem to work, or the old one to recognize a second device? At least until we get a router going, anyway. Thanks for your help!

2. ETech7

ETech7

Usually, a power-cycle of both modem and PC should work. Your ISP can NOT force you to use one particular PC either, so they must help you (at least every ISP I ever used would). Your new modem, if it's compatible with their network, will work if you call your ISP and ask them to activate it instead of old one (that usually saves few bucks a month). Or you can try to return your new modem, get a router and make them work together.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is the Dell a Windows Vista by chance?
    Which Motorola modem did you get?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice