1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem cannot detect a dialing tone

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nuggyrush, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nuggyrush

nuggyrush Thread Starter

my modem cannot detect a dialing tone, I checked everything from enabling it and do a query modem dignostics. I am using America Online version 7.0 and it still reports that modem cannot detect dialing tone. How can I fix this?
    Thank you in advance

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Phone off the hook in the next room?

3. colmaca

colmaca

get into modem properities then click on modem up the top and untick wait for dialtone

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Another question: is the modem actually getting a dial tone but doesn't seem to recognize it? If your modem has two jacks, are you sure you have the phone line plugged into the correct one? When there are two, one is usually marked for the phone line (you should see the word "LINE" stamped on the metal) and the other is for connecting a telephone (has a picture of a phone).

Did it ever work?

MBN

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    disconnect the cable for the telephone point - plug in another telephone and see of you get a dialing tone - that will at least prove everythings ok up to the telephone socket.

if you have a handsfree telephone you can plug the cable connector which plugs into the modem on the PC into the telephone and then check cable adapter etc, since if you get a dialtone there you know its PC; Modem hardware, Driver or settings

6. nuggyrush

nuggyrush Thread Starter

I was able to get the dialing tone from other telephone. Other people told me that I should uninstall the modem and unistall it again, will this work?

7. colmaca

colmaca

if you were able to get dial tone from other phone,then just disable wait for dialtone and it should connect.
    get into modem properities then click on modem up the top and untick wait for dialtone

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!