1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem causing noise on phone line

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnnieq, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I installed a new modem, and plugged in the line-in phone wire and a telephone handset. If you pick up the handset there is a loud annoying humming noise. This happens whether the computer is on or off.

I tried it in two different PCI slots with the same results. I installed the drivers and still the same.

I tried the same modem in a different computer. It works fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    it almost sounds like the polarity of your wall outlet is wrong. But this is a problem from many years ago. do you get a hum of anykind out of your computer speakers?

3. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

The speakers sound fine. It is a fairly new home so the wiring 'should' be okay. (I'll check)

The modem also will not connect. It says "No dial tone detected."

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Please don't take this wrong but are you sure you have the line in plugged into "Line In" and the phone handset plugged into "Phone".

What you described could cause both problems. The other possibility is another phone, most likely with an answering machine attached or internal. Disconnect any other phones in the house and see if the problem disappears and then, if it does, replace each phone one at a time until you hit the one causing the feed.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've seen this happen with USRobotics Soft modems in older computers(Pentium MMX and older). Secondly, disconnect the handset/phones connected to the modem after making sure the lines are in the right jack in the modem.

6. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I tried the phone in each jack earlier.

The computer is a new P4 3.0 GHz on an Intel motherboard. The modem is Intel also.

I am going back to their home tonight and will try the other suggestions. (and I'm bringing a new AOPen FM56-PX to try in it)

Thanks.

7. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I installed the new modem. Line is as quiet as it should, and it connects with no problems.

Not a "real" solution, but they are back online & happy.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Great, were you able to get your money back for the "old" new modem?

9. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

The "old" new modem works great in the other computer I tried it in. I'll keep it for the next system I build. Who would have thought an Intel modem would not be compatible with an Intel motherboard. :)

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

Intel of course :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice