1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Modem connection question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Giant Octopus, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Giant Octopus

Giant Octopus Thread Starter

Is there a difference between DSL, ADSL and VDSL? I need to buy a new modem but i'm not sure which one to get. Does it matter or is it all the same.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. Giant Octopus

My ISP says I can only use DSL. Yet every modem I see is ADSL. So DSL isn't compatible with ADSL?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know much about DSL, but this modem claims to be usable for DSL (and VDSL and ADSL).

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Usually ISPs will either rent you a modem or recommend models that work with the service. Doesn't your ISP do this?

6. Giant Octopus

^ No. AOL is my ISP. They sent me a Thompson Modem back in 2012, but now claim they can't send modems anymore because of a contract they lost, so I have to buy my own!!!!:mad:

7. Giant Octopus

That link doesn't go anywhere(!)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It (still) does for me. Maybe your copy got wet in the Pacific Ocean! :D

Do a web search for "Netgear DM200 Ethernet DSL Modem" (w/o the quotes) to find the modem I tried to show.

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    What is the model number of the Thompson modem originally supplied by ALL?

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Link works for me too.
    This is the modem pictured:
    Netgear DM200 Ethernet DSL Modem
    The description: The NETGEAR Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem provides a simple and cost-effective connection to high-speed VDSL/ADSL Internet. It works with DSL Internet service providers like AT&T, Verizon, & CenturyLink (not including AT&T U-verse, and CenturyLink Fibre

I'm trying to find info on dslreports concerning modems that AOL supports.
    They don't list AOL
    https://www.dslreports.com/forums/all
    and I haven't been able to find information newer than 2014.

You might want to consider dropping AOL as an ISP. I had a friend who used Juno as her ISP for quite a few years. Each time there was a problem with her modem, she had no internet for 24 hours. I told her that was not normal. Eventually she got another modem but she had to mail the old one back before they'd ship her a new one. The same thing happened with the new modem.
    She eventually dumped Juno for dsl and went with Verizon.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I missed that earlier. That means that you have dial-up service, as AOL does not provide DSL or any other kind of "high speed" internet service. Right?

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  13. Giant Octopus

Hi I use DSL broadband. My modem (which they gave me in 2012) is a Thompson ST546 v6

Here is a pic

I have it synced up to a Belkin Router for Wifi. But I would like to get a modem with a built in router so I don't have to connect two different pieces of hardware together with an Ethernet cable.

Attached Files:

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The Thompson ST546 v6 supports a few variants of ADSL. The variants are primarily based on the theoretical maximum upload and download speeds they support. I have not had DSL service since about 2012 and am not familiar with what is currently available for people that wish to purchase their own ADSL Modem / WiFi Router combination device.

Attached Files:

15. Giant Octopus

I kinda figure that DSL and ADSL are the same. When I was inquiring about other ISP's in my area they all offer ADSL modems. So that must mean that my connection could go both ways. As long as it offers PPPoE (which is how I get my Internet) I figure it doesn't matter

I was looking at this modem here. It says DSL and then has ADSL listed as well. So I think this could work.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...884199&hash=item3b02bfeb94:g:RJIAAOSwwNBakcMR

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1205401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice