Modem Connects but No Data Transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gfos

I have a problem.
I am using a 56k standard internal Dial up modem.
Until recently it was working fine.
But know it Dials up ok and logs into my ISP but there is no Data Transfer taking place. I have tried it with another ISP and Still the same problem. I have also Installed a New Modem and still the same problem with that.
I am running Windows ME, AMD 500 processor, 128megs of mem.
Any ideas as how to sort this out would be much appreciated as it is driving me mad.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi gfos, welcome to TSG.....

Have you asked your phone company to check your line for static?

I've had this happen to me after a heavy rainstorm........

gfos

Hello Thanks for the Welcome
I have tried it on 3 phone lines
In differant houses
Still No Joy
I have also my Laptop and another PC conecting OK on the same Phone Line

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
And in these different houses, are other people on their computers able to connect normally?

If so, then your settings in your connection are incorrect. Call your ISP and have them tell you what settings they require....

My computer, dial-up networking, properties, select your connection, server types.....this makes all the difference in the world....most often, you need to 'uncheck' the box that says log onto network....you might start with that.....also some isps need DNS numbers.

I see you edited your post......so then, the settings are incorrect....call them, they should be able to help you get them set correctly!

gfos

Hi AcaCandy
Yep I have allready done that all settings are correct
It actualy logs in no problem but just hangs then.
No Data Transfer at all
But logs in every time
This one realy is confusing me.
gfos

Just a hunch,
remove dialup networking and reinstall it. Start from scratch. I have seen it get corrupted.

gfos

Hi
No Proxy there was a Fire Wall Zonealarm it was working fine before with it installed, I have uninstalled it but still no Joy

gfos

Hi
I have removed Dial up Networking from ADD/Remove programs
Re-booted the system and the Installed it again.
Still no Joy

I have even Re-installed Windows ME over the top of the origional instalation, that didn't work either

I think this is a networking problem
seems to be alot of this going around

When did you last scan for virus, worms, trojans & spyware?

The tcp/ip settings may need to have your ISP's designated # applied to the DNS
I advise you to call your ISP for help on networking & connections
Sorry can't be of more help.
:(

also see if there is an update for your dialup connection available

I just had a similar problem on a 98SE system. I reinstalled the network stack, checked settings, etc with no help. He also had a VPN set up for his office network, that did not work either. The customer also had Zonealarm installed, and an uninstall of that and removing some zonealarm related settings from the startup menu fixed it. I also got a message about a particular .vxd not being loaded, and removed that reference from the registry, and suddenly it all started to work. You might take a look at this page for info about removing Zonealarm from ME:
http://www.zonealarm.com/services/support_install_Me.htm
The .vxd I got an error message about was vsdata95.vxd, had to remove that from the registry by hand

ya beat me swwelsh! I was just going to suggest ZoneAlarm as the possible culprit. Although I swear by it, there have been times when it caused me to not be able to access anything. Usually (at least for me), uninstalling/reinstalling resolved the prob. When uninstalling, be sure to do it correctly as provided in swwelsh's link.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online