1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem continues to dial-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trp380, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trp380

trp380 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-S253 notebook. It has a Toshiba modem installed. I am running Win98SE, herein lies the problem. My ISP is MSN-Wheneve I try to connect (dial-up), the modem continues to dial-up, giving me multiple tones, until it finally gets stuck and times out. Now, it doesn't happen all the time. One day I can connect & the next day the modem problems return. I've already replaced the modem once (the notebook is brand new/had it 6 months). Toshiba says it's either a phone line issue or an ISP issue. MSN says it's a hardware issue, or it's not configued correctly. (Toshiba talked me thru configuration on three sepeart ocassions). My question is simple.. Is this is a sour modem, phone line, or is it a config problem? My brother-in-law also has a Toshiba & has had the same problem w/connectivity.. (From my home phone line)..,..Thanks...

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi trp380, welcome to TSG.

I guess my question would be....does your brother have the same problem at his house?

3. trp380

trp380 Thread Starter

Yes.. He's tried it at work and at his home & he has the same problem.. One day he can get online and the next day he can't...

4. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

IMHO, it is prolly the line to the house, sorry. The phone company might replace the line for ya if the problem is found out to be on the outside of the house. They did for us.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice