1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem diagnostics "cannot open port"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rebel89, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebel89

rebel89 Thread Starter

Sir,
    I put windows98SE on a new computer and all systems appear to work perfectly except the modem. It appears in the control panel and drivers appear to be ok...When I run diagnostics the message I keep getting is "unable to open port" any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks much as before

2. carltasha

carltasha

I just want you to know the we are looking into it .

3. rugrat

rugrat

4. rebel89

rebel89 Thread Starter

Thanks much...tried the modem troubleshoot. It shows no conflicts, drivers are correct for that modem...still diagnostics gets the "cannot open port" message...any other suggestions appreciated.
    thank rebel89

5. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

If you hit Ctrl>Alt>Delete to bring up the task manager, do you see rnaapp.exe? If so, end this task and try again.

6. rebel89

rebel89 Thread Starter

:( :( Thanks much but nothing shows up when I hit Ctrl.alt.del except explorer or just whatever is supposed to be there. The modem is detected...it shows "no conflicts" just diagnostics run show "cannot open port" but as I said...it states "no conflicts"

any other suggestions appreciated.

rebel89

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!