1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem dialing sounds

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by haychefron, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haychefron

haychefron Thread Starter

How do I silence my modem while dialing to connect?:confused:

2. Links2

Links2

Control panel/modems/hilight the modem you are using and then click on properties/then click on the connection tab/then on advanced/and finally in the "extra settings" box near bottom of page type in(without the quotations) "ATM0"(that is a zero)...okay your way out of everything "et voila"...silence...

3. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Links

just wondering , but I used S11=50 to silence mine, why would there be two different codes to use for doing it?

4. Links2

Links2

I actually know of another...I do not know the particulars though....sorry

5. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Interesting, I didn't realize there were different entries you could put in to do the same thing.

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Just my 2 cents. I dont like the modem to be silenced completely because of the ocassions when it just doesnt start dialing and the voice comes on telling to hang up and try again. With it silenced, I dont know that until I get irritated because I havent connected yet. What I do is open my volume controls and adjust the wave balance. This will turn down the volume of the modem, incoming mail, etc, without interfering with other sounds.

Just a thought. :)

7. rhettman5

rhettman5

I have also heard if you type in mo=0 , mo=1, etc.. it will give you different volumes (in extra settings) but I can't confirm it...Rhett

8. Links2

Links2

Rhett,

It was the "mo" method that was the other one that I had seen before(couldn't remember exactly how it went so I didn't stick my neck out to have it chopped off in case I was wrong...lol)...

Happy New Year all

9. Ichabod

Ichabod

According to this little black book I got with one of my first modems, the S11 Register controls the Tone Duration in DTMF dialing. So, S11=50 gives a tone duration of 50 milliseconds while dialing. Don't see how that can silence the modem. Maybe the tones are so brief you don't hear them. Here's what I do:

Go to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/click MODEMS/click PROPERTIES/click CONNECTION tab/click ADVANCED button. In the EXTRA SETTINGS box type in any of the following:

M0 (that's a zero) will keep the speaker off.
    M1 Speaker on until carrier detected
    M2 Speaker always on
    M3 Speaker on during answering only

L0 (zero) Lowest speaker volume
    L1, L2, L3 Higher and higher volume

I use: L0M1
    This keeps speaker on until carrier is detected, then goes off. I find it helpful to listen to the modem dialing and negotiation, then turn the speaker off.

I also use W1 to force the reporting of modem to modem speed, instead of my modem to my computer. &D2 helps the modem to terminate the call at the end of the session. Pick out what you want in your string and type them all together with no spaces. So my modem init string looks like this:

L0M1W2&D2

Lower case is OK, AT is not needed in Win 9x or ME, but I'm not sure about win95, might have to preface the string with at. Search for "Modem initialization string" for more info.

10. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Go Ichabod. :)

11. Links2

Links2

:D

Very good post,thank you

12. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Ichabod

thanks for the info. I have DSL now so it doesn't ring anyway.
    I never heard it before with the S11 thing, maybe it was too fast to hear..... ;)

13. Gary R

Gary R

Which is correct, W1 or W2 :confused:
    Will the modem to modem speed command work with a Intel HaM modem?
    Can I just type W1 (or W2?) ito the extra commands line, or is a longer string needed?
    Are all commands common to each modem, and where can I obtain a chart or list of some type for these ati commands :confused:

14. rhettman5

rhettman5

Once again I almost was right...oh well, practice practice etc...Rhett

15. Ichabod

Ichabod

Gary, thanks for finding my error. Actually either w1 or w2 will work.

Go to www.google.com and search for "modem at commands" or "modem init strings". To find the S11 search for "modem s register". Below are just two that I found in a few minutes using google. These settings should work for all modems, although not all commands will work with all modems. Some time when you are bored try communicating with your modem. Go into hyperlink and hack at it a little and you get right into it. You can type in commands and see if the modem responds. If it does, you can use it, if it doesn't you can't. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but the modem seems to work better when you fine tune it a little.

http://www.computercraft.com/docs/hayescom.html

http://www.lothlorien.net/collections/computer/sreg.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice