1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem Direct Connection Good - Router Poor

Discussion in 'Networking' started by doggyofone, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doggyofone

doggyofone Thread Starter

Within the last week I've been getting very slow speeds through my Asus RT-AC66U when connected to either ethernet or wireless on Windows 10 devices. I'm usually seeing speeds over 20 mbps up to 25. Now the speeds are around 1-2 mbps, or less. Uploads are in the low 10ths of a mbps.
    To troubleshoot I connected my laptop directly to the Motorola SB6121 modem via ethernet cable and the speeds were 20-25 mbps as expected. When I connected modem back to the AC66U I get 1-2 mbps. I reset the Asus router and restarted modem-then router- then laptop. Result = same poor speeds. Today I connected a spare Linksys 4200V2 to the modem and ethernet to my laptop and get the same poor speeds 1-2 mbps.
    The equipment chains is: Internet to modem - modem to router - router to PC and to an ethernet switch feeding numerous devices. The router also wirelessly feeds phones, tablets and a couple streaming boxes.
    The curious thing here is that my laptop with ethernet and my wife's with wireless both running Windows 10 are very slow. My Tablet running Android (CM 12.1, 5.0 ghz connection) wirelessly from the modem is testing at 24 mbps.
    I'm at the end of my troubleshooting skills with this problem. The routers have the latest firmware. The Asus does have the Merlin software on it and has worked flawlessly in the past. Lastly, I did change the modem to router cable and tested on a modem to laptop and both cables are fine.
    Has Microsoft made changes with the last Windows 10 update that has impacted network settings? Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to resolve?
    Help is welcome.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Just curious: when you're connecting the modem to the router and then the laptop, do you still have the laptop plugged into the switch, or is it plugged into the router directly?

3. doggyofone

doggyofone Thread Starter

The main laptop is plugged directly into the router. The 4 ports on the router go to a telephone modem, laptop, powerline adapter and the fourth line goes to a switch that connects several other devices. None of this has changed in several years. The only recent change is that my wife has a new Dell laptop connected via wifi. To troubleshoot I connected the main laptop directly to the modem. Speed was good. I also connected my wife's old laptop to the modem and speed was good. Really curious why the Windows laptops were very slow running wireless through the router and the Samsung (Cyanogenmod 12.1) was fast - 25 mbps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice