Modem Disconnecting...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carriejahnke

Hello---I recently reloaded my Win98SE computer with windows XP Home Edition. I kept all of the hardware that I had with windows 98SE, and everything works, except for my modem. It is a Diamond Supra Max LE-PCT. It says that it is compatible with Windows XP. It dials up fine, but will disconnect often! and for no reason. I've heard that a modem will do this if it has call waiting turned on. I don't have call waiting on my normal phone..but does a modem automatically have it turned on? If so, how do I turn it off? Also I have heard that disconnecting can happen if there is a lot of "noise" I don't know if this is a problem since I had the same modem on the same computer with win98SE with no problems. But if it is...what can I do to get rid of static "Noise"....Also, is it possible that even though my modem says that it is compatible with win xp, that maybe it's not... (o--also, i already got the newest drivers for my modem...) anyone who has any ideas if you could please offer some advice, i'd love you.--Carrie Jahnke

TerryNet

Terry
Call waiting is not a modem function. So, since you don't have that service on your phone line, that's not the problem. If you did have call waiting, you would turn it off per call via a prefix code that you'd get from your provider.

It's true that noise on the line can cause a problem. When you connect does it connect at a "good" speed, or slow? The latter would indicate a problem with the line. But, if it is the line, good luck trying to get the phone company to check/fix it. Check every connection you can find. If you have one of those "boxes" (I never remember their name) outside where you can disconnect your inside wiring and connect a phone or computer directly to the incoming line that is a test that can point to or eliminate your inside wiring. Of course, not easy or convenient with desktop computer!

Easier test is to disconnect everything else (phones, answering machines, etc.) from the line while you're using the computer. My neighbor developed a frequent disconnection problem that suddenly went away when she replaced her old answering machine with a new one.

I assume that when you got the lastest modem drivers that they are specifically for XP? Does the modem manufacturer's web site have a FAQ or email support that you could check for known problems with XP?

Have you gone into Device Manager, accessed the modem properties, and spent some time with the trouble shooter? Seldom worthwhile, but easy to try, and sometimes there's a good hint about a setting to change.

I know this isn't much help, but do you love me anyhow? :)

carriejahnke

Hey--of course i love you.. anyway--yes the drivers were for XP. and I tried disconnecting everything else that was on the same line...I hooked the computer right into the wall (or the box on the wall...) ---still disconnecting though...
But i don't think noise is going to be the problem. b/c I used this same modem with 98SE without a problem..Carrie

Try disabling the "Automatic Updates" feature ... Right-click My Computer >> Properties >> Automatic Updates [tab]. See if this solves the problem.

carriejahnke

naw..i've tried that...and I need to have that enabled..cause I can barley get to the windows update website.. half the time I type in an address for it to go to it comes up to the page cannot be displayed screen...I have emailed my internet provider/telephone company asking if maybe they updated their settings or anything...but nope! and there is no way I could've messed up the installation of the connection because I use a mini disc that you enter your username and password--and it sets EVERYTHING for you...and when I emailed the lady she said to continue to use the minidisc....Carrie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online