1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem disconnects after online for few seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mpbrown, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpbrown

mpbrown Thread Starter

Hello! On my other computer I have dial up connection to the Internet. When I go online it connects but after just a few seconds or minute it automatically disconnects!!! I cannot stay online! Could somebody please help me? It is not the phone line because I have plugged a phone into the socket and it works fine. Is it my modem? Or do I need to change something in the software? I would greatly appreciate any kind of help. Thank you so much!!

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

im not sure, but let me know, my laptop has the same problem ;)

3. 1069

Hi mpbrown,

If you goto Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections >Settings > Advanced ...if there is a check mark against "disconnect when connection may no longer be needed" remove it.

This link has similar info: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153965

4. mpbrown

mpbrown Thread Starter

1069: Thank you for your response but that was not the problem. The box was not checked. Any other ideas?? Thanks!

5. 1069

6. rylan90

rylan90

I had something like that with my internet. We had a faulty connection box that connect to the wall and to cable box. You could check that... See if it helps at all.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice