Modem Driver issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

strandhoog

I recently did a clean install on my HP Pavilion 6635. I am running Windows ME software. I have never done this before and didn't know I needed to back up the driver for my modem. I bought this computer from someone so I don't have any disks (other than the ME disk) or books. I don't know what kind of modem I have.

When I go to Modems in the Control Panel there is nothing there. I discovered somewhere that there is a "PCI Communication Device (Code 28)" missing.

1. How do I find out what kind of modem I have?

2. Where do I find a driver for this?

Thanks!

The specific modem will depend on what country the PC was purchased in (the actual modem model and firmware can differ).

HP do not have the drivers on their website, that PC came with Windows 98 so it has been "upgraded" to ME I suspect.

That is the first of the problems, as the 98 driver probably would not work anyway. I have had real problems with the cheap modems used in these PC's, my recommendation would be to buy another modem that comes with supported drivers for ME.

Ideally an external RS232 connected serial modem (not USB) would be best but they are more expensive. Internal PCI modems are very cheap but are sometimes fraught with problems.

My ultimate solution was the external serial modem however, it worked with all versions of Windows just fine, very reliable.

Hi and welcome to TSG :)

You probably have a modem that looks a bit like this one:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MODEM/6002118/6002118nv.jpg

If you take the side panel off your pc and take a look where the phone cable connects - if the device is similar to the above there should be some form of identification on the printed circuit board - a ref number.

Copy anything that may be relevant and post here.

strandhoog

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is everything that I see on the modem. Canadian made, 29839880A,
Product number A99-0182JP, Product Code: MW560C1, for home and office use, FCC# 5CRKOR-25848-M5-E, Ren # 0.9B, USOC #:J:RJ11C, Conexant.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online