Solved Modem Driver ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snikert

Account Closed
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4095 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 941285 MB, Free - 812846 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0NWWY0
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I have a SURFboard SBG6580 Wi-Fi Cable Modem Gateway and need to update the driver associated with it.

Here is the only information I have for the driver: Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet.

Can someone help me locate this driver if in fact I'm using the right term?

Is your PC a dell Studio XPS 7100? Do you have a service tag number? Do you have a wired connection (LAN) ?
Driver for Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet would be the one for your Ethernet controller on your PC. Need the service tag to get exact driver. Or you could go to the control panel, device manager, network adapters, right-click on the Broadcom one and click on "update driver software".

snikert

Account Closed
Modem driver update - don't need.jpg

I did the search and this was the feedback.

Then I'm back to square-one with my problem and I don't know what I need.

Thanks for the help!

Does it say Version: 12.4.4.6 ,A00 03 Nov 2011 Have you gone to Network and sharing center and click on trouble shoot problems?

snikert

Account Closed
Does it say Version: 12.4.4.6 ,A00 03 Nov 2011 Have you gone to Network and sharing center and click on trouble shoot problems?
driver version.jpg Is this what you're asking? And troubleshooting didn't bring up anything.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Describe the problem you're having please.

snikert

Account Closed

snikert

Account Closed
Describe the problem you're having please.
I've entered this problem June 28 but under Windows 7, title Windows 7, Firefox and/or my ISP. and I wasn't able to correct the problem. Following is the information I gave at the time. Firefox is now v 47.0.1.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4095 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 941285 MB, Free - 813050 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0NWWY0
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Here's the problem. With regularity Firefox will show this:

Usually when I first boot up for the first time in a day Firefox will connect with each server I am trying to visit. Then as the day goes along I'll begin getting the "Server not found" notice. Firefox will sit there and churn away until I try again to connect.

Is the problem with Firefox (47.0) or with my ISP or is it with Windows 7 or the Internet itself?

It's very annoying when it happens and it happens a lot!

Any suggestions on how to find out what's causing this and how to correct it?

Thanks!
##

I have downloaded a driver suggestion by a support person here on Tech Guy.

If you have any further suggestions that would be great!

That driver is for your wired network adapter. In your earlier post you answered yes to "only happens on wireless" What wireless adapter do you have on your desktop? The lights on the router stay solid green? Wireless when working will be flashing green. Who is your ISP?
You might get more help posting in their community forum also. I searched on google and there were lots of results for "sbg6580 intermittent drops"

Last edited:

snikert

Account Closed
That driver is for your wired network adapter. In your earlier post you answered yes to "only happens on wireless" What wireless adapter do you have on your desktop? The lights on the router stay solid green? Wireless when working will be flashing green. Who is your ISP?
You might get more help posting in their community forum also. I searched on google and there were lots of results for "sbg6580 intermittent drops"
Here's the only piece of equipment I have regards connecting to the internet connected to my computer: SURFboard SBG6580 Wi-Fi Cable Modem Gateway. As I understand it it's a router and a modem combination.

The lights only flash when the modem is first turned on, so it's wired then?

My ISP is Suddenlink.

I have had this computer since 2011 and the modem the same year in June. I've used Firefox about that long, also. I had no problems with either of those until last year, about the time Microsoft started pushing Windows 10. That's when my internet browser started having problems. I decided I did not want Windows 10 after Microsoft started the prelims to the upgrade. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem I'm having with -- well, I don't know what with.

Thanks for your help and I'll take your advise and do the search.

Lan_Network_Cable.jpg Do you have this connected between your modem and your desk top? Do you know how to bring up your modem web page and check for errors in the log? Was your Router/modem furnished by Suddenlink? The power supply for it or the modem may be getting flaky. If it is theirs make them replace it. I had a DSL modem go bad after 5 years.
Found these forums related to suddenlink. https://community.suddenlink.com/suddenlink/categories/suddenlink_high_speed_internet
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/suddenlink

Last edited:

snikert

Account Closed
View attachment 250386 Do you have this connected between your modem and your desk top? Do you know how to bring up your modem web page and check for errors in the log? Was your Router/modem furnished by Suddenlink? The power supply for it or the modem may be getting flaky. If it is theirs make them replace it. I had a DSL modem go bad after 5 years.
Found these forums related to suddenlink. https://community.suddenlink.com/suddenlink/categories/suddenlink_high_speed_internet
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/suddenlink
Yes for the cable.

I know how to get to the Motorola page, yes. But I've lost my user name and password so I need to contact support. I have the number.

The modem belongs to me.

You've done a lot of work to help me and I really do appreciate it!

snikert

Account Closed
Found some more info , can be various things , you said you use firefox https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/server-not-found-connection-problem
Some YouTube stuff on DNS problems
Here is a WIKI http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-DNS-Server-Not-Responding-Problem
Oh my, I'm going to have to put you on the payroll!

I had forgotten about this but on the 11th I came across this, "Find Drive With DriverAgent". So I ran it and here's the list of drivers it came up with that needed to be updated:
AMD Radeon HD6450 (this one I have since updated)
AMD SATA Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet (this one I'm working on)
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Mass Storage Device
Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse (I searched for this one at Microsoft, couldn't find, maybe not looking in the right place)

The DriverAgent of course would get the drivers for me for a fee and I decided against it.

I'll check out your further recommendations. Thank you again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online