Modem Error 692 but with some odd symptoms

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

skarloey

I'm on a XP SP2 computer, and am having a problem with external modem connection to the Net. When I turn on the computer (my modem is always switched on prior to bootup or the computer can't detect it), I can connect fine, no problems at all. If I try disconnecting and re-connecting within a short period of each try (a few minutes), it seems to work fine too.

However, if I disconnect, then do something else for sometime (work on Word, do a virus scan, etc etc), if I try to dial-up again later, the Error 692 message comes up. I cannot reconnect again unless I reboot. I've tried going to Device Manager -- Network Adaptor and turning off the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in case it was this, but it didn't make any difference. Can anyone help, please?

skarloey

dear rolling rog

I've seen the Microsoft article before but not the Modemsite article. I'll try a couple of suggestions from it. Hope they'll help!!!! Thanks so much -- I'll let you know if anything good happens....

skarloey

Okedoke, good luck!

An interesting test which you might want to try is to boot to Safe Mode with Networking support and see if the same behavior persists there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts