1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem hangs my pc on dialup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Simond_25, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simond_25

Simond_25 Thread Starter

I have a usr robotics modem sporster extenal. Everything seems to work fine the modem is detected in device manager (I can query the modem). My dialup seems to work fine until it gets just past the authenticating stage.
    This is when my whole pc just freezes and I have to hard reboot

I am running windows XP home edition and the Pc is a Packard Bell 1700mhz
    Modem drivers are up to date.

This has only happened since the modem was turned off and then back on. When I switched it back on it went throught the hardware wizard. SO I cancelled rebooted and tried dialing up and wham bam the Pc started freezing.

It should also be noted I have a crappy onboard modem which I have disabled (aztech) I then disabled the usr and enabled the onboard modem. Reran the ISP oncifg setup which seeemd to run through fine. Exactly the same problem occured?

Help anyone

2. fhaslangka

fhaslangka

Uninstall the driver of your usr first then disable it. Reset your BIOS and check if the onboard is enabled and reinstall the drivers. if it goes fine uninstall the driver of the onboard before disabling it in the BIOS then hookup the usr and reinstall the driver properly... Good Luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice