Modem Help - Arris Surfboard SB6141

coop34

I just moved and tried to take my Comcast service with me. My modem worked fine at my previous home. At my current location when trying to set up internet I couldn't get any connection. The "receive" LED light is continuously flashing. Is it more likely a problem with ISP or the modem itself?

Gr3iz

Mark
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I assume you've got the service turned up, right? Sometimes it takes a while for the modem to register in a new location. Sometimes you need the ISP's intervention. If it has been over 24 hours, and still no connection, I'd contact them. I know most people would rather have a colonoscopy that contact an ISP, especially Comcast, but it may be inevitable.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Welcome @coop34

For that modem, if the receive light is blinking, it means that the modem is not locking onto the upstream signal.

A few possible reasons:

Your account is not active in the system for your new place.
Comcast did not connect you from the outside.
You are using a wall jack that is not active.
Cable is not secure.
You are using bad cabling/splitter (if you have cable TV)

The first two you would need to contact Comcast if internet is the only service...

Check a different outlet to make sure the modem is not receiving the cable signal.

Check the cable and make sure it's not damaged in anyway.

If you are currently connected to a splitter that shares the wall with cable tv, remove the cable from the splitter and go directly into the wall. If that works, you may need a new splitter. If you do get a new splitter and it still happens, then the jack has low signal and Comcast would need to investigate.

coop34

Thank you for this!

Your account is not active in the system for your new place - they keep telling me it is and that they see my modem in their system.

Comcast did not connect you from the outside - would they be able to see my modem in their system if Comcast didn't connect me? The previous homeowner also had Comcast but the house was vacant since February.

You are using a wall jack that is not active. - I tried three different coax outlets with two different coax cords.

Cable is not secure. - I've made sure the cable is finger tight

You are using bad cabling/splitter (if you have cable TV) - not using a splitter (yet) just looking to get the internet set up prior to getting my TV set up.

Comcast has suggested that a technician come out but I'm reluctant because I don't want to pay the $70 fee - I could just buy a new modem for that much money. The worst part is that it's up to the technician to determine if I'm at fault or if Comcast is at fault.

Do you suggest I try a new modem or I have a technician come out?

coop34

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I assume you've got the service turned up, right? Sometimes it takes a while for the modem to register in a new location. Sometimes you need the ISP's intervention. If it has been over 24 hours, and still no connection, I'd contact them. I know most people would rather have a colonoscopy that contact an ISP, especially Comcast, but it may be inevitable.

Service should be turned up and I've actually called twice and they've been relatively friendly/helpful. Now they are suggesting I have a technician come out and I'm just not looking forward to having to pay that fee.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is a clear signal issue into the house if only the Upstream light is flashing. They may have seen the modem on the system in your previous home, but there is no way they see the modem in any state if it's not getting a signal now.

I hate that they (and Cox, and probably other big places) charge you for the call out even if it's not your problem. I'm sure that the house was fine before they disconnected it. I bet you any money that they didn't connect it properly. They failed to make sure that your service was working before they signed off on it.

I highly don't suspect the modem, however you can test that theory by seeing if they can give you a modem for a few days at the local office/ customer store (you may have to pay up to a month on the rental though).

coop34

There is a clear signal issue into the house if only the Upstream light is flashing. They may have seen the modem on the system in your previous home, but there is no way they see the modem in any state if it's not getting a signal now.

I hate that they (and Cox, and probably other big places) charge you for the call out even if it's not your problem. I'm sure that the house was fine before they disconnected it. I bet you any money that they didn't connect it properly. They failed to make sure that your service was working before they signed off on it.

I highly don't suspect the modem, however you can test that theory by seeing if they can give you a modem for a few days at the local office/ customer store (you may have to pay up to a month on the rental though).

Just an update - the Comcast technician game and we are only getting signal to 2/6 Coax outlets. He was unable to fix the solution but wouldn't go to the crawlspace because of a snake. I'm thinking this is essentially fixed.

Unless someone can help me out to get the rest of the Coax outlets working.

TerryNet

Terry
and we are only getting signal to 2/6 Coax outlets.
Huh? For cable internet service you have one high quality two-way splitter with one side going to your modem and the other may go to another splitter to feed multiple TVs or set-top boxes.

It sounds like you do not have this setup, and are lucky to get a sufficient signal to one or two outlets instead of zero. Unless both sides of the one splitter are the "good" ones and the other 4 coax cables are not connected to the incoming service.

coop34

Huh? For cable internet service you have one high quality two-way splitter with one side going to your modem and the other may go to another splitter to feed multiple TVs or set-top boxes.

It sounds like you do not have this setup, and are lucky to get a sufficient signal to one or two outlets instead of zero. Unless both sides of the one splitter are the "good" ones and the other 4 coax cables are not connected to the incoming service.
I'm not sure if I'm being clear of if I'm not understanding what the norm is. We have 6 rooms in our house with a Coax outlet/connection where you could potentially set up a modem for internet. For whatever reason when the Comcast technician came to our house and tested all of the Coax outlets and only 2 of them were getting any signal.

The technician couldn't tell us why only 2 of the 6 were getting signal. Does that make more sense?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well, you need to get rid of that snake first before anyone else will go up there.

To confirm, this is a house that you purchased, or renting?

When it comes to house wiring, that's where things will get tricky because the ISP will say 'that is your equipment' but some will offer some kind of monthly charge so they will also include it.

The signal should be strong enough to provide services to all outlets. Without being there to know what is happening, I suspect either the box/splitter that connects all the outlets is bad, or they are not connected correctly, but again, if someone else lived there then I would think it was fine before. (Having said that, CATV signal is more resilient to signal issues than internet...)

TerryNet

Terry
The technician couldn't tell us why only 2 of the 6 were getting signal. Does that make more sense?
Your explanation confirms what I said in my previous post. Why the technician couldn't make a determination makes no sense unless access to the crawl space is essential.

crjdriver

I have seen some houses where there were numerous cable jacks or places to connect. The original cable company only connects however many you pay for ie you are billed for two, they only connect two. Your house may have been one of these.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online