1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem in use by another Program

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Telstar, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Hello,

Dell Dimension 4400
    Intel Pentium 4, 1600 MHz
    256 MB system RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    Windows XP Home v:5.1.2600 SP 1.0
    Internet Explorer v:6.0 SP1.0

On a daily basis I lose my connection to my ISP (MSN Dial-up).
    Whenever I click on the small MSN popup window "Do you want to connect?" I get an error message (MSN Error # 633 - Modem is in use by another Program).
    I then need to reboot and then the connection is made ok.

I've used the Modem Helper and Troubleshooter but all checks out ok.
    A Driver Update shows I have the latest Drivers for this Modem.

I can't seem to find what the "other" program is that's using the modem causing this message and not allowing me to reconnect without rebooting.

Going to my My Computer (right click) > Properties > Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT) it indicates COM 1.
    But, when I click on Modem > Conexant HSF V92 56k RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem > right click > Properties > Modem tab > it shows COM 3.

They seem to conflict. Shouldn't they agree on just one COM Port?

Should my Device Manager > Ports > COM & LPT be changed to enable COM 3 instead of the now COM 1 or vice versa?

Bottom line is....what is the reason I must reboot instead of being able to reconnect to my ISP?

Thanks for any help,
    Telstar
    :)

2. Sponsor

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

4. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply griffinspc,
    I should have mentioned I had already done a Google search for Error 633.
    The KBA 324760 states:

"This behavior may occur when another device with a driver that is incompatible with Windows XP is in conflict with the modem. For example, this problem can occur with outdated Palm Pilot software.'

I've never had a Palm Pilot or any other device that I'm aware of connected to or using the Modem (but, obviously something else is in conflict causing this error).

I'll follow some of the Knowledge Bases referenced there again and see if it leads me to the culprit.

Thanks,
    Telstar

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Check your device manager for a yellow ?.

6. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Yep, I came across this when I ran CHKDSK a couple of days ago. All items are enabled correctly.
    Note that my problem has been for quite some time, did not just start.

Now, take a look at this. I DO NOT connect to a FAX. This could very well be the cause of the error? What do you think. I just happened to click on Start > All Programs > "Phone Tools" and discovered what looks like a connection to a FAX.

Telstar

[​IMG]

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

First would you mind saving the bold text for something that needs emphasis.

Second, running XP as you are I doubt that's the problem. That looks like a FAX app that you could use to send a FAX like document through your modem. Most modem software comes with some FAX capability. That one may be an XP standard. I need to leave in a little bit so I don't want to power up my XP machine and check it. (I just installed my first XP OS so I haven't been through all the installed apps.)

This: On a daily basis I lose my connection to my ISP (MSN Dial-up). Whenever I click on the small MSN popup window "Do you want to connect?" I get an error message (MSN Error # 633 - Modem is in use by another Program).
    I then need to reboot and then the connection is made ok.

is the key I think. The reason you have to reboot is to clear the last connection service which is left running after the disconnect. You need to find the cause of the disconnect, fix it and then you'll be OK I'd guess. A pretty sure guess.

8. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

IMHO if you are connecting successfully with a fresh reboot, and only when it fails do you get the error, sounds to me like your modem isn't disconnecting properly.

When you lose your connection, are you figuring it out because the connection is dead? In other words, is it at all possible that you are, in fact, still technically connected to the internet? Do you have the "two monitor" icon in the systray (by the clock) indicating a connection? Does MSN have one of those?

If you have any type of icon still open either in the systray or taskbar, try right-clicking and choosing disconnect (if that's an option). Also try ctrl+alt+del and in the second tab look for, I think, Rnap or Rnnap or similar...I believe this belong to the modem.

Give it a try - it's been a while since I've worked with modems, but I don't think that Phone Tools fax is doing it. But just to be sure, make sure that its icon is NOT in the startup folder in Programs.

Hope this helps,

MBN

9. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Ok griffinspc and MustBNuts. I'll followup on your ideas and suggestions.
    Thanks much,
    Telstar

10. LionsMike

LionsMike

Telstar and any others reading for info.
    I have seen that problem occur as a result of a new program installation that never finished on-line registration. The registration mod just keeps on trying to do its job.
    Removing the program or completing the registration can clear the modem

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/213334