1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem inop in xp-xp want lan only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by schowalla, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schowalla

schowalla Thread Starter

this may not be an issue here, but seeing how xp pro wants me to connect to the internet via lan or dsl or shared only, I thought i would ask. I diasabled my ethernet card, my modem did query properly. Connection wizard will not allow me to select modem. heres the clincher, it worked till I upgraed from home to pro.
    thanks

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why don't you start with the type of equipment you have, modem make/model, internal/external, USB/Ethernet, and perhaps the actual service you're using, dial-up, DSL, cable, etc.?

4. schowalla

schowalla Thread Starter

Im sorry. I have an internal modem, the issue I am having trouble with, is why did my dial up work prior to upgrading from xp home, with all the updates, to xp pro.. During the install it canceled my dial up connection. When prompted during the wizard, when I reach the point the were it will ask you for type of internet connection I need to make, dial up is not offered. This is a xp compatable machine, 3 month old Ultra, came with xp home installed.

5. JohnWill

Well, first off, I'm curious, why did you feel it necessary to upgrade to XP-Pro on a non-networked machine?

In any case, are you saying if you go to Start, Network Connections, New Connection Wizard, you can't get a modem option? After you get there, select "Setup my connection manually" and follow the prompts, it doesn't allow you to generate a dial-up?

Have you checked in Device Manager to see if the modem was recognized and has no errors associated with it?

6. schowalla

schowalla Thread Starter

The old machine had I installed xp pro and I had been use to using it. The home edition does not give me the flexibility I had with pro. The answer to all your questions is that is correct. Not even manually can I over ride the install. The modem is installed correctly, an querys fine.

7. JohnWill

I confess, I've never upgraded XP-Home to XP-Pro, AAMOF, I normally strongly recommend against upgrades of any kind. I prefer a clean install, this is just one illustration as to why. :)

8. Del

Del

Is that the screen where you have something like dialup, broadband with username and password or broadband that is always on. If so do you just have the last option?

If this is it, go to Start > Run and type in msconfig and click ok.
    Move the check to Selective Startup and uncheck Load all services, click ok, reboot. Go back to msconfig and put the check back in load all services and try it. Fixed one with this last week.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150976