1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem is not responding...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by p268bfor, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p268bfor

p268bfor Thread Starter

Hi. I got this HP computer from work that initally had Win NT on it. I got that off and installed Win 98SE. Everything works great except for the modem. Windows detects a standard 3600 modem, but when I go to modem properties, more info, to test it, I get an error message that the modem is not responding.

How can I tell if there really is a modem? Our internet access at work is through a network or LAN or what ever you call it. Our computers don't actually dial up an ISP.... I've removed the modem from the device manager and when I reboot, it always finds the same standard modem. I update the drivers but it says the best drivers are already installed. Any suggestions?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:For info purposes,go to Control panel,select Modems,Diagnostics and select the correct modem and then select More information and see if there is any communication with the modem or what info does display.Also you might want to know some Port info,like which one and any other port info that is available.
    Any info like this that you can supply would be very helpful to the Forum.

3. mhughes

mhughes

Have you connected the modem to a phone line and tried to dial out after setting up your dial up network? What message do you get when you try to connect?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice