1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by beno78, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beno78

beno78 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have had an issue with a modem not working the way it should. It basically started with the modem not dialling at all. It seemed to be installed ok, and no errors in Dev. Manager. But just would not dial.

I could Query the modem via the Diagnostic tab in the modem properties but still no dial out. It just sits there for ever. A bit more fiddling with settings, and the PC just shut off and restarted. I assumed the modem was faulty, so purchased a new one. But getting simillar issues. I can still do a Query to the modem, but no dial out.

Also, the install took a long time to complete, and I had to do it manually. I also noticed when I went through the manual process, the box that normally has all the standard modems listed, and where you click on HAVE DISK was totally empty. Which is not normal.

Does anybody have any ideas? I dont want to have to reinstall windows, as its a pain!

I have also checked options like WAIT FOR DIAL TONE and that the speaker volume is up. All ok.

2. unbidden

unbidden

I'd try removing tcp/ip from the modem properties and any software pertaining to modems in Add/Remove Programs. Then check Windows Explorer and remove any modem folders. Remove any modems in Device Manager. Download and install Regcleaner - open the utility and remove any modem software registry entries. Reinstall tcp/ip - reinstall modem drivers.

3. beno78

beno78 Thread Starter

TCP/IP from Modem properties? Im not totally sure where to find that. I can see the TCP/IP for the dial up connection, but within the Modem Properties screen accessed from Dev. Manager, I dont see any TCP/IP settings.

4. Carey934

Carey934

Have you tried replacing the phone cable that runs to the modem?

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What is the make and model number of the modem?

Sounds to me like the modem driver is not installed properly.

6. beno78

beno78 Thread Starter

I have replaced the cables a few times. No good.

It is the second modem in the box, both completely different chipset/drivers.

It seems to be something with the XP modem sub system. But I have no idea how to remove/repair that?

7. unbidden

unbidden

Removing - reinstalling tcp/ip may not be necessary being that your problem appears to be the modem isn't dialing. However, you may as well try and eliminate as many possible issues as you can. I don't have a modem installed in my pc, but try going to My Network Places - in the left pane click 'View Network Connections' - right pane double click 'Local Area Connection' - remove tcp/ip. Follow same steps to enable tcp/ip.

I feel as though you do in fact have driver issues. I'd follow the steps in my previous post to be sure and rid the machine of any and all existing modem entries - then reboot. If the 'Found New Hardware Wizard starts, cancel it and install the drivers that came with your modem.

By the way, just to eliminate one more possibility, disable your firewall or at least check to see if the firewall is blocking the outgoing dial-up attempt.

8. beno78

beno78 Thread Starter

Ok, I have tried all the above suggestions with out luck.

I have been working on this fault some more, and just on a whim, I tried something...I have now found that if I remove Nortons AV, the modem works without a hitch. If I reinstall NAV, it causes the modem fault again...Easy answer is to leave Nortons off, but thats not really a fix, and NAV has 18 months left on the subscription...

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

That would seem to narrow your options. A good modem can be obtained for $10. Try one from a different manufacturer so the drivers will be different.

Or you could try an older driver for the current modem.

10. beno78

beno78 Thread Starter

Have replaced modem twice, both with different chips. Still have the fault. Only fix seems to be taking Nortons off. But as I mentioned that is not practical. It seems Nortons has control of the modem for some reason?

11. unbidden

unbidden

Is it Norton antivirus only or is there a firewall included?

if a firewall;

Did you check the programs within Norton's firewall settings to be sure it isn't being blocked?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice