1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem: Low Bytes Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i have a second computer that i'm slowly getting back to working condition( earlier this week brian helped solved another problem).

computer is 6 months old and the modem gave no hints something might be wrong.

what took place before the problem happened? i had been using alot of different software to fine tune/tweek the computer.

the modem will connect to an isp,however i can not get through to any sites. when i click the 2 little lit-up computer screens at the bottoms, it shows about 460bytes -460 bytes at 52,000. (appox.numbers).

the computer's modem had been working fine with the same isp for months. when i recently changed to a new isp. the modem is doing the same thing(not working). so the problem does not appear to be the isp.(i had changed the isp for price not service reasons)

i somewhat looked into the MODEM(the CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS). according to a troubleshooting book,everything appears normal. but there is something i'm not seeing.

thanks,shark

2. Rockn

Rockn

What do you mean not working? Sounds like it is connecting fine....and the 460 bytes are what was transferred during the connection. Can you pull up web pages in a browser window?

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

the internet is connecting,however i get a page not found type message, that is,the browser is working but i cannot get one web site to show up.

when i click the internet screens in the lower right hand corner,it says (406 bytes in,406 bytes out at 56,000). those are appox.numbers.

previously,i have noticed the bytes in/bytes out is usually in the 100,000's in/100,000's out,when the internet is working fine.

???

4. Rockn

Rockn

Have you ever changed your Dial-up settings when you changed to a new ISP? Try some different web addresses and see if you connect to any web sites. If you still cannot access them, open a MS DOS window and try to ping a web site. Go to Start>Programs>MS DOS Prompt and type in ping www.intel.com

If you get a response back, take the IP address and type it into the Address in Internet Explorer. If you can get to a web site that way then we will have to try something else....let me know

5. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

sorry to take so long to respond. i'm using a work computer to respond.

the dial up setting was not changed.

i'll try the ping test you mentioned.

what is normal for a bytes in,btyes [email protected],000bps ?

again,its rough 400 in,400 out now. i thought it was 100,000 in,100,000 out (appox.numbers)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice