1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem makes loud static noise while dialing and then disconnects itself after dialing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dan1, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan1

dan1 Thread Starter

I hope someone may be able to tell me how to fix the problem I'm having with my modem. My modem makes a loud humming static noise while dialing to get on the internet or to talk with someone and then disconnects and ends the call immediately after dialing. Sometimes there is no static noise while dialing and then the loud humming starts immediately after dialing and the telephone call terminates after about 30 seconds. On one call, I heard someone talking from the other end of the phone line but couldn't understand what they were saying because of the loud static.
    I have an IBM Aptiva computer, with a windows95 operating system and an IBM Aptiva 28.8 mwave Data Fax modem which is located right on the mother board. I bought the computer new about 5 years ago.
    I'm not too familiar with technical terminology, although I have looked in every part of my computer. I looked at a lot of things under system, modem, network neighborhood, program manager and communications, but everything looks normal. IBM notified me that they don't stock this modem any longer. I'm at a complete loss of any new ideas on how to fix this problem exept to try a new modem which I'm a little hesitant to buy until I'm sure the one I have is bad. Any help I can get woud be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Irok

Irok

Hello
    you have a slow modem if u dont know ho to install one buy 1 and get it installed it'll only cost about $80 for a 56k modem installed

3. dan1

dan1 Thread Starter

Hello Irok,
    My modem reacts quickly when making a call. Slowness isn't one of my symptons and wouldn't cause the modem to disconnect itself.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Dan1

Have you tryed listening to the phone line with the modem turned off? Any static or noise then? If you are getting the noise only when using the modem, I would try a different one. They do go bad. Check the stores return policy. You can buy one to try out and if that doesn't fix your problem just return it.

5. dan1

dan1 Thread Starter

Hi Lurker1,
    The static occurs only when using the modem. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check at the computer store.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Is the phone also plugged into the modem as well ??

If not, there is something else you mignt want to look at,the phone line from the modem to the phone jack could be bad or have a bad connection...

7. dan1

dan1 Thread Starter

Hi Jedi Master,
    I checked out the phone line from the modem to the phone jack. I use the same wire to get on the internet with another computer. I'm beginning to think Lurker1 is right, that my modem is giving out. The problem is getting worse after trying about 25 times to keep dialing to get on the internet. Since my computer is about 6 years old, I'm thinking about getting another computer instead of replacing the modem. Thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/78924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice