Modem needs rebooting frequently

janesman2006

I have a dlink dcm 301 modem along with a dlink dir 842 router. My issue is my internet keeps slowing to a crawl and I have to restart the modem to get it back, frequently, almost daily and I'm hardwired through the router. The modem is several years old and the router is only a month old, it replaced a dlink dir 826l that was also several years old. I replaced the router because it kept dropping out but plugging modem in directly showed I had a good connection, so I replaced the router. The only thing google tells me is it could be a firmware or memory leak but doesn't explain how to fix it. Is there a way to fix it or do I need another modem? If I need another modem, which would be the best to get? I have double checked and when the internet drops out, I hook the modem up by passing the router and still have a bad connection, thats how I know its the modem slowing down or limiting me. Do I need a new modem, thinking I do but looking for some info or possible fixes.

crjdriver

These problems can be exasperating. I had a similar problem with a modem [would keep losing connection, pw cycle modem and it would come back]
After a LOT of troubleshooting, the problem was one or more poor connections in the cable. I took apart each cable connection and cleaned with contact cleaner; no further problems.
If you live in an older house OR an area prone to a lot of moisture, that would be the first thing I would do. This takes some time however it does not cost any money [other than a can of contact cleaner]

Is the modem supplied by the ISP or did you have to purchase the modem?

Last edited:

janesman2006

I own the modem instead of renting one from the ISP. I have already gone through all the wiring, new wiring installed early last year, ISP even came out and installed a line booster late last year. I would think dirty connections even with a modem restart would give me poor connections, rebooting the modem doesn't clean bad connections, all connections look clean anyway. Kinda why I'm thinking modem is just going bad but looking for fixes or confirmation, thanks for replying.

These problems can be exasperating. I had a similar problem with a modem [would keep losing connection, pw cycle modem and it would come back]
After a LOT of troubleshooting, the problem was one or more poor connections in the cable. I took apart each cable connection and cleaned with contact cleaner; no further problems.
If you live in an older house OR an area prone to a lot of moisture, that would be the first thing I would do. This takes some time however it does not cost any money [other than a can of contact cleaner]

Is the modem supplied by the ISP or did you have to purchase the modem?

plodr

Liz
Check: Signal Level: -15dBmV to +15dBmV (from modem manual)

Unfortunately, I can't seem to discover what the IP address is of your modem. Everything I see seems to refer to a router with the exact same model and number. {rant on] why do companies insist on using the same name for different hardware and software?[rant off]

I went through the same thing with Comcast. I was told I needed a new modem. I bought one and I kept getting the same dropped internet connection. One tech came out and told me I needed a line booster. The next tech came out and said I didn't need it and removed it!

Get a tech out again and ask them to measure the signal at every tv and the modem connection. If something is not at the correct signal level, get them to change the coax cable so you are getting the required range.

If you have checked all the cable and connections then replace the modem, it almost has to be the issue.

plodr

Liz
Thanks, that worked for my current modem. I had it written down somewhere but I'm using a different modem now and must have gotten rid of my notes.

🙃 and I just discovered my note on the new modem!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online