1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem noise - after connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peteflynn, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peteflynn

peteflynn Thread Starter

After a new install of XP my modem is now making a hell of a noise after connecting.
    I've gone into Controlpanel->Modem Settings->modem-> and turned off/down the various "no speaker" options but nothing.

Any ideas?

cheers,
    Pete

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I take it you are talking about the normal dialing of the modem when you connect.It typically sounds like a fast dial,followed by a few beeps,squacks,and hissing sounds.That is normal...
    However,it can get very annoying...

I suspect that you shut off the case speaker from your previous action,but that won't do a thing to affect the system speaker signal.
    Can you tell if the sound is coming out of your system speakers,or just the case speaker?

3. peteflynn

peteflynn Thread Starter

case speaker.
    It's not the handshake noises, they are muted, it is the connected "online" hiss.
    Constant. Annoying. Can't surf...and..play...splintercell....argh

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

OK...
    In the sound adjustment sliders,do you have one active for the case speaker?
    If you look in the 'properties' you should be able to make it active and then mute the case speaker from there,or at least turn it down.

5. peteflynn

peteflynn Thread Starter

can't seem to find one...

is it the same thing as the "pc-speaker" ? cos I can turn that off/on

a mate told me I could go through Hyperterminal in Communications menu to directly access the modem int string. Could this be a way?

I tried the "add commands" box in modem settings and added ATM0, but that didn't help.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is this a USRobotics modem? I've seen several do that.

Try updating the modem drivers from the manufacturers website (not microsoft) and the motherboard chipset drivers(ie via, intel, nvidia, ali, etc). Also did you change anything in the BIOS?

There's no slider for this.

7. peteflynn

peteflynn Thread Starter

no it's not USRobotics...in fact I can't tell what it is. The chipset is Conextant (sp?) but there is no other markings on it. It was part of a premade system bought in 2000, and the job sheet from the shop just has "Soft56k PCI Modem" in the parts column.

no I didn't change anything in the BIOS

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A typical cheap software modem. Same advice though, worked for one, mught work for another. Here's a utility to determine the chipset of the motherboard and the make/model of the modem. Try to find new drivers online.

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

For the modem look under Devices - Physical Devices and for the chipset look under Computer -> Motherboard Chipset.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice