1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem not detected in AOL?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MelinkO1109, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MelinkO1109

MelinkO1109 Thread Starter

I know.. AOL sucks but it's all my friend has and i had to recently install Windows 2000 on her computer and now when i try to configure AOL to connect to the Internet via 56k modem it does not detect the modem whatsoever?... When i previously had windows xp home installed the modem worked perfectly fine? Would it be possible for me to update the drivers and use the windows xp home CD somehow? And if so.. can anybody tell me which file to choose? I have almost no 56k experience or AOL (cable user myself) and ANY help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

2. prospect

prospect

In the set up of AOL did it give ya the chance to find the modem yourself? Did ya try calling AOL?

3. yul

yul

what is the version of AOL?

4. MelinkO1109

i've tried from 4 to 8 and all have the same result... i'm pretty confident it's some sort of driver issues?.. The modem has none of it's own software and i don't know the make or model to choose from the list.... is there some sort of generic drivers i can download?

5. yul

yul

But is the modem responding in the control panel first? cos if its not then AOL won't pick it.

6. prospect

prospect

Doe's your modem show up in the device manager? Do ya know what kind of modem you have?

7. MelinkO1109

no the modem did not show up in the device manager and i could not choose it from other sources because i can't tell which kind of modem it is? Is there some other way i can find the modem name and model or whatever.. would it perhaps say it on the actual modem itself if i opened up the PC?... i still don't understand why it was not detected and the proper drivers installed in the first place?... doesn't make sense to me

8. prospect

prospect

See I got spoiled with XP, it installs all kinds of drivers for ya. If your modem is in an PCI slot in the PC, just take the screw out and gently pull the modem out and find what ya can on it. Then post back and somebody will give ya a hand.

9. prospect

prospect

Did your modem come with the PC you have now? Try checking the web site for modems. In other words, just check the web site of the manufacture of your PC, and look for your modem there.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice