Modem not found by system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

anlag

I'm having problems installing a modem. Actually, I don't get very far at all, my computer simply can't find it. I connect it, and reboot Windows, doesn't happen automatically and it's also nowhere to be found when using "add new hardware" in the control panel. I've tried 'blindly' installing both standard drivers and product specific drivers (from an independent Internet site) on the serial port the modem is connected to but no good. The standard error message says the modem is either not connected or in use already, though I've seen a few other ones over the course of this.

I searched on here and some bloke with a similar problem was told to remove all modems (done that a few times in between) and then turn off PnP in the BIOS settings. Went to check BIOS and it turns out "PnP OS" was already set to "no". Tried again like that, and with PnP set to "yes", no change. Lastly, I've also tried most of these steps on a second computer.

The modem is a NetComm V90 Voice Fax unit, product number VD56SMV. My machine is an Athlon 2 GHz with 768 MB DDR-RAM, running Windows XP SP1 (had some bluetooth issues with SP2, so I went back). I can use another modem (and I am right now...) on both the computers I tried this new one on, no problem. It's found straight away and standard drivers do the trick.

Now, all I can think of is some sort of weird conflict somewhere, what with ports or something. That's really out of my depth so I'd very much appreciate any ideas anyone might have. Obviously, it could also just be broken, but for variuos reasons it really shouldn't be.

Thanks a lot to anyone taking the time to help me out. Cheers.

You should disable (Control Panel->System->Device Manager) any other modems that are in the computer. If neither PnP nor Add/Remove Hardware detects the new device,
just run the setup program which comes with the new modem. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

pugmug

Banned
Get a V92 modem if you can.If you have to use dialup it will be faster.The V90 is rather old tech.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online