1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem not recognized by Windows XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjreed64, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Hi, everyone. I am trying to install a US Robotics 56k v.90 dialup modem in a computer. The computer's specs are 1.8 ghz P4, 256 mb DDR RAM, 60 gb HDD, and Asus P4S533 motherboard. Windows XP detects the modem as a "PCI Device." I went through and tried to install a new modem, but that didn't work. I also downloaded the drivers from the USR site, but when I clicked on the .exe nothing happened. I then pointed XP to the location, and it said that it didn't contain info about my device. This is very strange. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!

-Chris

EDIT: The modem says 3094 3095 on the back, and I downloaded the drivers for modem 3095.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

the exe should be a self-extracting zip file. it will probably open winzip and extract the files to a folder on your hd. you can then point xp to the folder when you install. if it doesnt open when you double-clickon the executable, I would redownload it.

3. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The original download was a .zip, and the .exe was one of the files that was extracted. Among the other files were .dll and .inf files, which was why I tried pointing Windows there when the .exe didn't do anything.

-Chris

4. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Do you (or anyone else) have any other ideas or things for me to try? By the way, I forgot to mention that this is not my computer, and I probably won't get to work on it again until this weekend. Thanks again!!!

-Chris

5. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Alright, I am going to work on their computer tomorrow and will redownload the drivers. I'm not sure what else I should try.... :( Any more ideas? Thanks!

-Chris

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you digging down deep enough in the driver files? It's probably looking for the .inf file.

7. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! There was an .inf file among the other files, and I pointed Windows XP right to it (clicked on it in the window that was looking for an installation disk). It still said, "this location does not contain information about your device." Pretty frustrating stuff. :confused:

-Chris

8. ~Candy~

I guess, then, I would wonder if the silly modem was XP compatible?

Have you tried putting it in another slot? Or is that an option?

9. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried three different slots. That would be strange if it wasn't XP compatible. I thought operating systems were supposed to get better. :confused: I guess I'll just have to keep trying to find out. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

10. flyeater

flyeater

I can't tell what modem that is. That code # from the back leads me here to some inf files. I'm assuming this is what you got. Isn't that a pos winmodem?

11. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Yes, that is exactly where I got the drivers. I found this site last night and will try the standard conexant drivers. Thanks for the reply!

-Chris

EDIT: If you look at the pictures, the modem they have is the top one (#3095). Though the back of theirs says 3094.3095.

12. ~Candy~

Is it the speakerphone model? If so, I think you need the 3094 drivers.

Open the .inf file to see what is listed in it......

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    thats funny because i've installed the 3095 under xp over 2 dozen times. It should be a breeze because xp has its own drivers for it that work great. it might be the 3094 since the labelling on them is so bad the 3094:3095 thing although it does say just the one model number. It could be a defective modem or something between the mobo and the modem.

A while back i downloaded drivers from a modem manufacturer and they had an .exe but they wouldn't work. I finally realized that they should in fact be .zip files and then they worked. I think it might have been USR and not sure.

14. cjreed64

cjreed64 Thread Starter

Well, they just decided to get a new modem. This one must be defective. Anyone have a suggestion for a good modem for $30 or less? The USR modem they had me put in was older than their system and didn't have any drivers with it. It is strange that XP didn't recognize it..... Getting a new modem installed should work fine since they should come with an installation CD. It is weird because I've never had any trouble installing a modem either. :confused: Thanks again, everyone!

-Chris

EDIT: Yesterday, I tried the 3094, 3095, and the Conexant drivers. None of them worked.

15. ~Candy~

Chris, I had a USR winmodem in one of my machines, and I ditched it for a not so name brand cheapie at CompUSA...I think it was under $10 after the rebate.....it's a Shark something or other (can't remember, the computer is in Vegas). But it works fine.......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice