1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem not showing up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BenWasTaken, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BenWasTaken

BenWasTaken Thread Starter

ok i go to search for connection device for AOL and the only thing that shows up is TCP/IP..i know i have a modem since i have it pluggin in right now im also running of ethernet but want to sign on through modem..i tried to unplug and replug but its still doesnt work..can anyone help me???

2. prospect

prospect

Have ya tried looking in the device manager? Look there just to see if your modem and network card show up.

Prospect

3. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Ben,

With TCP/IP you can logon to AOL with either, your phone connection or your ethernet connection.

SM

4. BenWasTaken

BenWasTaken Thread Starter

well the modem shows up in device manager under modem and it says aol dial up under network connections, i tried to connect through tcp/ip through the phone line like you said but it didnt work...any other ideas??

5. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Ben,

I don't know how is it is now, but when I had AOL there were 2 ways to connect and login. 1. Have a dialup connection straight in to them off one of their phone numbers or BYOP (I think it was)
    Bring Your Own Provider. This could be anything--dialup, DSL, Cable. To use this, there needs to be in Network Neighborhood,
    AOL adapter and AOL TCP/IP. And the setup in AOL needs to correspond to the fact you are BYOP.

I remember it was easy to set up and use.

Spaceman

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice