1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem not working in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vfwfw, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I have just installed Windows XP and cannot get my modem to work.

My modem is an internal 56k MDPD3858-WE (Rockwell chipset), which from all my research should be compatible with XP

I have downloaded several drivers, none of which work.

If I query the modem through Diagnostics, all the correct info is displayed, which suggests that the modem is working OK, however when I try to connect I don't get any dialtone.

I hear a click and then a very short sound which sounds like the dialtone starting, but then it just goes silent. I have tried putting in lengthy pauses, thinking that maybe it justs needs extra time to get a dialtone, but that didn't work either.

My system is:

Intel P4 1.6ghz
    512mb RAM
    40gb HDD (C:) with WIN98SE installed - dualbooted
    10gb HDD (D:) with WINXP installed

Thanks

2. blkhawk1

blkhawk1

did xp detect your modem?, try removing the modem you have installed under modems and do a modem search and see what you come up with. most modems are listed. if it finds a generic you can still use that.
    Blackhawk

3. Dan O

Dan O

4. boyoh53

boyoh53

On the older computer Win98 we went for XP upgrade and modem wouldn't work. Wasn't compatible. PC World said it needed a new modem. OK now. :)

I misread your post. I thought you went up from 98se.

5. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

blkhawk1,

On initial installation, XP found the modem and installed it without question. Since then I have removed the one XP installed and tried installing by both letting XP find the modem again and by downloading the most recent driver from the manufacturers website and installing it manually.

Still no luck. The thing that stumps me is that I can find no mention anywhere that this modem is not compatible with XP!! Everything I have found suggests that this modem should work with the current driver! Go figure??

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice