1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem port

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AndyHolewa, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndyHolewa

AndyHolewa Thread Starter

HI,

A friend of my has a problem. After a couple of years of use, she is current having problems connecting with her dial up modem.

From advice from various sources she has downloaded a new modem driver and installed a new antivirus program without any success.

Since I started looking at it, I have removed the modem driver, physically removed the card, put it in a different PCI slot and restarted the computer. It found the modem and installed the proper driver. From Contron Panel, modems, diognostics, I get the message box, could not open port (or something simular).

Since then, I have upgrade her to Windows 98 SE and installed another modem with the same results.

I have not checked out the BIOS, she would not know where it was.

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

What programs do you have running at startup? Try disabling some of these applications, to see if they are causing the problem. If you stop everything from coming up at startup, and you're still getting the error message, then the problem is most likely a resource conflict. Go into Device Manager, and try to track down and resolve the conflict.

Good Luck:)

(See this link for more info) :

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/5/54.asp

3. AndyHolewa

Columbo,

Thanks for your response. I had visited Microsoft and found the link you provided before I posted, but the friends site is a ways and I have not yet visited again yet.

I will try these things out.

Thanks again,

Andy

4. AndyHolewa

Hi,

Went to my friend's house and tried a number of things including eliminating all the start up. Really not to much change. I went to Hyperterminal and checked there, it was installed but could not communicate.

The other thing I forgot to mention before was that the original problem appeared when trying to connect. We get a Windows Blue screen with fatal exception 0E at ... "VXD" in Vcomm01 ...

I also tried forcing the modem to another com port and IRQ, but nothing changed.

Any other suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Andy

5. columbo

columbo

Hi,

OK. Try going into system file checker, and restoring your copy of vcomm.vxd. Hopefully that will address the problem.
    If not, then write back and let us know.

Good Luck

:)

6. Dan O

Dan O

If Columbo's latest suggest does not help. Try running Wmregdel.exe, read the MS article for deatils using the link Columbo provided. As I suspect something is stuck in Windows Registry causing the problem.

7. AndyHolewa

Thanks for all your help.

We tried to do a few more things and then she loaded her data file on floppies and we reloaded the operation system. She is still in the process of loading on her software and reconnecting. Hopefully the modem will work when she tries it.

Never did find out what the problem was.

8. Dan O

Dan O

Sometimes it's the best thing to do. As they say just bit the bullet.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice