1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem problem, Please help! PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DDZZ007, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

I just bought a Zoom 56K Dual Standard PCI Faxmodem for my computer. The model is 2925. When I go to modems in the control panel, select the port with my modem on it, and click on more info in the diagnostic tab. It says COULDN'T OPEN PORT . what's wrong with my modem? I installed it like it said, and I tried to plug it into another port, but that didn't solve the problem.

I know there are some really smart people over here at tech support guy, so please help!!!!!!!

2. Rockn

Rockn

What OS are you running?? What port does it say your modem is installed on?

3. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

I'm running on windows 98, It listed 3 coms, com1 is serial mouse, com2 it says no modem installed, and my modem is on com3. This is under diagnostics tab in modems. I appreciate any help, thank you.

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

ok go in the bios and make sure com2 is disabled.

Then uninstall the modem drivers via the control panel add/remove programs if it is there.

Then go into device manager and remove the modem.

Then go into safe mode device manager and remove the modem there. Remove duplicates if they are there. also remove any com ports besides com1.

Then restart and install your modem. When windows loads up, and if it detects the modem, and asks for the drivers, cancel that out.

Then once windows is all the way loaded up, use the isntallation cd to install the modem, then restart.

5. Monk_

Monk_

ZOOM PCI modems require that the driver software installed before the modem in physically installed in the machine. If you dont follow this process the modem will load on COM2 and conflict with Serial Port 2. Remove the modem drivers, shut down, remove the modem, reboot. Install the modem software, reboot. Install the modem. Boot. The new hardware wizard will start and put the modem on COM3.

6. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

In reply to Monk_ and Shadow2531:

Thanks for the help, I did install it wrong the first time, but I unistalled the driver and pulled the modem out and reinstalled the driver again and then plugged it back in. I think there shouldn't be any problems with that right?

Can you specify the part on removing or disabling the COMs? And I have absulotly no idea which is COM1, COM2, or COM3. I have 3 PCI slots on the motherboard which the modem can fit in to, which is the one I should use? and are the slots what you are calling COM?

7. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

Come on, anyone else going to reply? everyone is welcome.

8. Rockn

Rockn

The PCI slots have no bearing on the COM port assigned....plug it in to any old port. REmoving the port 3 is easy. Open control panel, then the system icon, select the device manager tab and scroll down to ports....highlight COM3 and hit the delete key on the keyboard. Shut down...reinstall the modem, reboot and you are good to go.

P.S. don't be so impatient. The people here have lives outside the forum....chill....LOL

9. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

com port does not = pci slot.

you need to restart your computer and enter the cmos setup via del, f1, ctrl-alt-esc, tab, spacebar or whatever your computer requires. You have the choice to enable/disable the external com ports on the back of your computer. Com1 and Com2. You said your mouse is connected to com1. Com2 is right next to it. For the pci modem to use a virtual com2 port, you need to disable the real com2 port in the bios so the modem can steal it. In the bios, the com port selection may be under intergrate peripherals.

Since you know how to get into device manager, go under ports and remove any 'communication' ports besides com1.

Then restart your computer. Once your comptuer stars to restart, hold down the ctrl key until you come to the boot menu. The menu will allow you to enter into safe mode. In safe mode, go into device manager and do the same thing with the com ports. There may not be any more com ports than what you deleted, but you have to at least check this. If there are any com ports besides com1, remove them. Then restart and you will be back into windows.

Don't forget to uninstall the modem. (not physically, but via add/remove programs and device manager). Also go into control panel>modems and make sure the modem is removed there too.

The once all that is cleared up, then you can install your modem.

Generally any pci slot you pick will work, but you don't have physical remove the modem to uninstall/reinstall.

10. Monk_

Monk_

Just for general information, on some Asus MB with onboard sound, a ZOOM PCI modem in PCI slot 2 will conflict with the onboard sound. Both are assigned IRQ 10. ZOOM PCI modems cannot support IRQ sharing. I found this out the hard way. By moving the modem to Slot 4 (IRQ 11) all is well.

11. Rockn

Rockn

Again PCI slot has no bearing on the IRQ assigned. On some motherboards there used to be a problem with the first PCI slot and the first ISA slot being in conflict. You don't even need an IRQ for a device on a PCI bus. Why do you think PCI modems do not have jumpers like their older ISA counterparts...think about it!!These PCI modems use software to assign an IRQ and are the biggest waste of money out there and cause the biggest headache for people that have to support them.

Bring back the jumpered ISA modems I say!! LOL

12. Monk_

Monk_

If you check the ASUS CUV4X-E documentation, you will find that the slot used by a device that does not support IRQ sharing does make a differance. Page 28, Section 3.7.2. "If using PCI cards on shared slots, make sure that the drivers support "Share IRQ" or that the cards do not need IRQ assignment. Conflicts arise between the two PCI groups that makes the system unstable or the cards inoperable."

13. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I forgot to mention something, my modem actually WORKS, I'm using the modem I'm talking about to connect to the internet right now. It's just that it doesn't seem to be working PROPERLY, it only connects to the internet at 28800, but it's a 56K modem. And the other problem I've already mentioned. Thanks people.

14. Monk_

Monk_

Go to modem properties and see if Maximum Speed is set to 115200, if your connection is setup in DialUp Networking, check that the Baud Rate for you connection is correct.

15. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

I have AOL, and the settings in the control panel and in AOL are both correct. And when I removed COM2 in device manager, and restarted the computer, it automatically added it again. In BIOS, intergrate peripherals have a lot of stuff in it, but I don't see COM1 or COM2 in it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice