1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem problem with Win2K

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfworx, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

This modem problem occurs when running Windows 2000.

Using PCTel Modem HSP 56 Micro Modem with (what I believe to be) the latest driver for Win2K.

Device Manager properties states it is working properly and diagnostics proceed correctly.

I can get on line. IE comes up properly. But, within a couple of minutes of going on line, the system freezes - no keyboard and no mouse. A cold shut down and reboot is required.

Since I can easily switch drives on this machine, I switched with a drive running Win98SE. The modem works fine!

I would like to switch to Win2k on this machine. There is no other problem running Win2k except the modem. I have been runing successfully with several applications for the last few days.

Win 2K is certainly more stable than Win98SE in most ways... so what could be going wrong here?

2. danielno8

danielno8

Hi, does this problem occur only after connecting to the internet??Is it EVERYTIME you connect after a couple of mins it freezes?Have you got another modem you could try for a while?

Daniel

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Had similar problems with win modems in win2k; using a 3Com hardware modem cured the problem.

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

The problem might be with Internet explorer since the modem works fine with 98.

5. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the modem in Device manager? Sounds like a Possible PCI Bridge problem check in Device manager and post back the info.

6. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks all of you for your input and suggestions.

The problem occurs only when I connect to the internet and everytime I connect to the internet. I have used as FAX modem without a problem, but have not tested this feature extensively, so it could cause a crash if given enough time.

It is not just an IE problem. I tried with other browsers or no browsers (Norton Live Update) always a crash within a couple of minutes of connecting.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. I have triesd another PCI Slot. No change. It does not seem to be hardware per se, since it works fine under Win98SE

I do not have another modem to try at the moment. If I can get my hands on one, I will certainly try it.

7. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I solved the problem by sharing a modem on another machine on my home network. Seems to work fine. Now I have a spare modem since it has become just dead weight in this machine.

8. cheapshot

cheapshot

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice