Modem Problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CarlaNardia

Hey! I've been having a rogers ignite issues for about a month and a half now. My modern with be working fine, perfectly high speed - but then suddenly it tries rebooting and will get stuck blinking green for forever. Sometimes it'll eventually turn white and work again for a bit but usually it will just stay in that limbo state. It does this multiple times a day. Rogers came a few times and checked the cables outside, said everything looked fine out there. I've tried switching the outlet but eventually it crapped out again. The techs at Rogers seem to think "it isn't the modem because then you wouldn't be getting internet at all". Anyone have thoughts?

CarlaNardia

What did they say the issue was?
The comment came from an online chat agent who is not a tech.. he said that 'from his experience' it didn't sound like the modem because if it was the modem I would not be getting internet at all. He thought it might be the cables. However two techs came already and checked the cabling (albeit very quickly) and said all was good.

TerryNet

Terry
The symptoms (the ones I understand) could be caused by an electrical power problem or the modem overheating.

Overheating should be pretty obvious. Does it have adequate ventilation? Does it feel significantly warmer when failing?

Electrical could be trickier. If you are using a power strip or surge protector try plugging the modem directly to a wall outlet. If it is on a heavily loaded circuit, especially one with something like a refrigerator or air conditioner, try a different circuit or lightening the one you are using.

CarlaNardia

@TerryNet thanks!! That helps. It is the only thing plugged into that outlet. I did try plugging in to a different outlet but the same thing eventually happened last night. I had kept it on the floor in the corner for the first few months so I'm wondering if it got clogged with dust and has been overheating or something. I blew it out with canned air and so far so good today... fingers crossed.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It can very well be the modem, or more commonly the signal.

Out of interest, exactly where did the technician test the line? inside the house? If not, then is the modem also connected to the same jack as tv service via a splitter (if you have tv with them too).

I would concur that overheating would be the most likely culprit in this case though :)

CarlaNardia

@Couriant Hello!
He only tested outside because they are not allowing technicians inside at this time. But the line is not split or anything; I do not have TV... I do think it must have simply been getting hot and bothered, haha... I took canned air to it, have had it standing in a better spot, have a fan pointed at it, and turn it off entirely while I am away, and it has been working like a gem! THANKS EVERYONE! <3

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
@Couriant Hello!
He only tested outside because they are not allowing technicians inside at this time. But the line is not split or anything; I do not have TV... I do think it must have simply been getting hot and bothered, haha... I took canned air to it, have had it standing in a better spot, have a fan pointed at it, and turn it off entirely while I am away, and it has been working like a gem! THANKS EVERYONE! <3
Sounds good!

If you are renting the modem from Rogers, have them change it out if you have to continue to put cold air to it.

plodr

Liz
While they are there, ask them to test the noise on the line - inside the house.

Just looking outside at the lines and telling you over the phone that the modem is fine is not diagnosing the problem.

TerryNet

Terry
We do not yet know that there is a problem with the modem. It may simply have been overheating because of poor placement yielding insufficient ventilation. See posts # 7 and 11.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online