1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gibsonman, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gibsonman

gibsonman Thread Starter

I am running Xp Professional I have a USR V.92 Performance Pro Modem.

Sometimes when i try to connect it sounds like there already is a connection on the Line. This does not happen all the time but alot of the times.

Usually if I try to go to a site (no specific site) and I get disconnected this is when it usually happens, as I'm trying to reconnect. ive tried three different modems. Each does the same thing. Could some thing on my computor connect me with out me knowing?

I've ran spybot and got rid of as musch soyware as it found.

This actually started before I upgraded to XP.. I had win 98. And I installed XP over Win 98.

Could the remote computor not hang up?

usually after I don't try to connected for a while 30min - 1 hr then I can connect.

When I get a good connection its 50.6k

The phone company checked my line and it was good.

thanks....

2. scmazter

scmazter

Hey, firstly check with the manufacturer's website if you have the most recent drivers for your modems.

Also, if you have a driver for your v.92 from the manufacturer, which is ment to make it work as a v.92 instead of v.90, it might not funvtion properly if your ISP doesn't support the v.92 standart (there is a good chance of this).

But if it happened with 3 modems, well i guess it must be something else.

So, you actually overrode 98 with XP? Hmmm, well since it started to happen when you did that, I think it's a safe bet to say that is the problem.

Also, right click on my computer, click properties, go to hardware and hardware manager.
    Check if you have any conflits. If you have 3 modems installed at the same time, that might present a problem.

3. gibsonman

gibsonman Thread Starter

I don't have three modems in my computer, I've tried three different modems..

also while i had win98 it was doing it too...

also I've had the V92 modem for over a year with no problems. The problems started about 4 months ago.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The V.92 protocol allows the modem connection to be placed "on hold".

It sounds like the connection is actually being placed on hold when you get disconnected, and then when you try to reconnect, it finds the old connection still active.

Try reloading the drivers as scmazter suggests.

5. scmazter

scmazter

Hey.
    If you tried 2 update the drivers just before it happened that would be the cause.
    If that is the case, uninstall the modem from device manager, restart the comp and when windows asks u 2 install it, put in the cd or wateva came with the modem which has the driver, and install it.

If that isn't the case, what did u do before it started 2 happen?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice