1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem problems?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rob2910, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob2910

rob2910 Thread Starter

I don't know if this is the correct forum but I'll ask the question here first.

As well as the CMOS problems I am having with a friends PC, see HERE I am also having problems getting the modem to work.

I have re-installed the modem with the correct driver and also checked to make sure that it is seated correctly. When I go into Modem Options via control panel and query the modem via the Diagnostics tab it appears that the modem is being recognised and working. When I use Hyperterminal it says that the modem is ok but when I try to locate a dialling tone it says there isn't one.

I have checked all the cables and know that the cable is ok as it connects using my dial up otion on my PC. Which also means that the connection sockets away from the PC in question are functioning. However when the modem on my friends PC is connected to a telephone socket it stops all the phones in the house working and BT say there's a loop problem. As soon as the modem in question is disconnected and I re connect my PC's modem all the phones work in the house.

Is it a faulty modem which is grabbing the line?

How can I check the modem away from it's current PC to see if it works?

Any ideas on how to get things working or is it a new modem??

2. dugq

dugq

new modem

3. rob2910

rob2910 Thread Starter

Thanks Dugg (y) , and bugger :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice