1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysi, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Hi

I have been asked to look at a modem problem in an HP machine running Win 98. It has a Rockwell HCF 56k data fax PCI modem on Com 2. In device manager everything shows as fine - driver fine and no conflicts. There is however no Com2 showing under ports in DM.
    In modem properties, diagnostics it shows all the right responses on testing.

However it still gives the message that the modem is not responding and to check connections etc on trying to dial in.

I have even tried a new modem cable.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

If diagnostics shows it is working correctly, and you changed the modem to wall cable, i would look to make sure that the Dial Up Networking applet is set to use the modem on port 2 and not on some other port from a previous installation attempt. Go to My Computer>Dial Up Networking and right click on the connection and then select Properties. At the bottom of the page is a box Connect Using and make sure it is set to use the modem on com2. If a previous install attempt put is on a different port and the DUN is set to the wrong modem, you can get that error message.

3. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Sorry - no luck. There is only one modem showing - the Rockwell on Com 2.

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Right click on Network Neighborhood on the desktop. Click on properties. What is listed in the network box. You should have dialup adapter, TCP/IP>Dialup Adapter and with some ISP's either client for microsoft networks.

5. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the reply - sorry I have been slack in replying but Xmas is catching up too quickly.

The system is unable to view the properties of the network ....

What next????

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

if the modem is installed on com2, there shouldn't be a com2 under ports in device manager.

That's normal

7. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Oh the so loved HP's computers!!! I worked for HP tech support for a lil over 3 years - best advice - JUNK IT!! LOL Just kidding. Try going into safe mode, go to control panel -> add/remove programs, remove anything doing with the modem, then close that out, right click on my computer and hit properties, see if modem is listed - if it is then right click on it and hit remove. Reboot and let the computer reinstall the modem. Before trying to see if it works with ISP - go to Hyperterminal (Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications) and try to connect to the AT&T mail server. Another note - that thing prolly has the modem/sound card combo so you might want to uninstall the sound card in safe mode too.

Hope this helps!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice