1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leigh40, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

Hello.
    I have an intel HaM modem and for some reason after being on the net for 20-25 mins the connection becomes very slow then disconnects.
    It dails up fine every time,and for the first 20 mins works ok.Once i reconnect its fine again for 20 mins, then the same thing happens.I am running win me,850 mhz,256 mb ram,20 gig hd.
    Any sugestions?
    Thanks.
    lee.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

3. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey leigh40,

I also have the same problem! When I am on this new chat line at TSG, I get dropped too. I have seen some ways around it by having your email service check for email every ten minutes but you know how that works! It doesn't!

They say its from inactivity and your ISP wants to give your address to someone else! Dang them! Fight Back! Surf faster!

4. crabman

crabman Guest

who is your internet provider??????/ theres a start..........things to try make sure you dont have call waiting if so disable it i9n your modem propertys.try norton internet security you could be getting hacked.it helped me out i dont know if i was being hacked but it helped me with my disconnect problems.compaq had a modem that was sensitive to on and off switches and flourescent lights (hsp 56) make sure your modem is clear of these things.also make sure in your internet provider software is goig to be a setting for disconnecting after a certain period of time or if idle for any period of time,correst these settings if you can locate them:D

5. Damonc

Damonc

First Name:
    Damon
    It could be a number of different things that are making your connection go dead.
    As it has already been said, it could be your isp. Other causes for this could be your telephone line carrier, or firewall software that is having some effect on your connection.
    Try downloading a file that is going to take you over the 20 minute mark, if your connection is active downloading the file up until when you hit the 20mins mark, i'd either be talking to your ISP or your line carrier.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice