1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skyman, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skyman

skyman Thread Starter

I have a Gateway 333, Pent II, 256 ram, 10 gig hd
    running Win 98 and IE 6.0. It is 4 years old and has an internal modem that came with the system, 56k Telepath for Windows x2.

PcPit Stop results showed that I have a bandwidth down of 27 kbits/sec and a bandwidth up of 52 kbits/sec.

My connection speed with my ISP is constant at 28,800 bps.
    This is a local ISP and when I was with one of the large national ISP's I was getting from 34.000 to 44,000 bps.

My MTU is 576, RWIN is 4288 and TTL is 64.

I have the latest drivers in and my ISP tells me that nothing is wrong on their end.

I am not going to broadband and cannot get IDSN so my question is , would I improve my performance to any extent if I had a new modem installed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

skyman

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I doubt it.......you might have the phone company check the lines....I had similar problems and once new telephone lines were installed in the area, my speed shot up substantially........

3. ozinpho

ozinpho

Hi, as BTW, your modem speed depends on the local telephone lines and your ISP. If you were getting high baud rates before then your provider seems to be at fault. Is there anyone in the neighborhood you could ask what speed they are getting? Sometimes I connect at less than 40K and sometimes, but not often, at 51K. :rolleyes:

4. skyman

skyman Thread Starter

AcaCandy,

Nice to hear from you again...

How do you get the Phone Co. to check your lines? My phone Co. is Verizon and the only thing you can get from them is their bill.

You go on a chase thru, "hit star and 3 if you want to speak to another voicemail."

Give me some pointers... Thanks...

ozinpho, No one in my neighborhood has a computer...

We are a retirement neighborhood and most of the residents can't spell computer...

5. Hairy

Hairy

my best bet with Verizon was when the tree fell and knocked down the line....got a saw?

don't mention the problem is with the computer....they blew me off
    maybe your voice line is noisy? (or so you tell them)

6. ~Candy~

Well, it was a tough problem here in Mexico too......we just chase the Telmex truck around and give them 20 pesos to come have a look ;)

As luck would have it, it took over 2 years to finally get the line replaced, but we were able to get a second telephone line in the meantime, and that line would connect at a higher speed than the old line.........going thru the same ISP.......

BTW, I like Hairy's suggestion too ;) That's a bit easier to accomplish here.......

7. lowster11

lowster11

I was having simualr problems with dial up. I have XP 2 , I was testing at speeds of 29 to 33, sometimes I would go as high as 44 (wow) So yesterday I placed a order for DSL, then I down graded back to Win ME, when I was done I went back to the benchmark test just to see how much lower of a score I'd get, and believe it or NOT I pulled a full 56!! Bone stock, no upgrades, or virus protection/wall. I was getting panicy about no protection because the site was able to open up my cd player, but I just had to test again, A unheard of 57!!! Now after putting all the poop that we need because of, well, I better not use that word, spies, I am pulling 33's-44. What a shame.

lowster11 :cool:

8. ~Candy~

Impossible.

Why don't I connect at 56K when I have a 56K (V.90) modem?
    First of all, 56K modems can receive data at speeds of up to 56Kbps, but due to FCC (Federal Communications Commission) rulings on maximum permissible transmit power levels during download transmissions, speeds of 54Kbps are the maximum allowed by law. Actual data speeds received will vary greatly depending on the quality of your phone lines and how well your modem handles them, which will also affect whether you can connect and stay connected.

http://dnet.net/techSupport/supportFAQ.asp

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice