Modem question

ingeborgdot

I am finally switching internet companies. I am needing a cable modem and they say it needs to be a Docsis 3. There are so many out there. Does the cable modem make a difference? I have never used one before so I'm kind of new to the cable modem stuff. Thanks.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
They are different, you need to use one that your ISP approves or you will not get much support.
They should give you a list by brand and mode.

ingeborgdot

They said it didn't really matter other than it had to have Docsis 3. I already talked to them.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK, any docsis 3.0 modem should be fine (Arris/Motorola is the most common) but the question is, do you have a router already? If so, get the SB8200 modem. If you don't and need wireless capability, get the SBG8300 modem.

plodr

Liz
I can vouch for Arris/Motorola Surfboard models for a modem.
I always purchase a wireless separate router. I prefer 2 units rather than a gateway (modem and router combined) because it is easier to troubleshoot if something is not working.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I can vouch for Arris/Motorola Surfboard models for a modem.
I always purchase a wireless separate router. I prefer 2 units rather than a gateway (modem and router combined) because it is easier to troubleshoot if something is not working.
And in my experience you have more control on the router part as some ISPs do lock that down to basic information, unless that has changed in the last few years.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I also prefer getting the Arris/Motorola modems. It seems these brands have universal support by all ISPs. Why this is important is not only for support but when I had installed a new Arris modem with Comcast, they pushed down a firmware update. I'm not sure if this firmware is specific to them or a generic one. But the fact they went down to this level makes it pretty important you get a modem they list as one they support.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I also prefer getting the Arris/Motorola modems. It seems these brands have universal support by all ISPs. Why this is important is not only for support but when I had installed a new Arris modem with Comcast, they pushed down a firmware update. I'm not sure if this firmware is specific to them or a generic one. But the fact they went down to this level makes it pretty important you get a modem they list as one they support.
I believe there is 2 files, the firmware which is generic and a config file that can cap your speed or access all together (something that my former work did)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online