Modem Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kyle015

This could be either a software issue or a hardware issue...

Is it possible to configure my 56k dialup modem to automatically disconnect when I recieve a phone call? Keep in mind that I don't have call waiting. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Nope. Not that i know of. If you get call waiting(5 bucks a month) you shouldn't have a problem getting kicked off when someone tries to call in.

If you don't have call waiting, then whoever is calling will just get a busy signal. Whenever the phone is in use (and you don't have call waiting), the telephone station keeps the line "occupied" until it receives the "hang up" signal telling it to open up the line for incomoing calls, of corse these are not technical terms but my point is that the busy signal that the party trying to call you hears does not come from your house, it comes from the telephone station itself, meaning that the person's attempted call never even reaches your house (and obviously never reaches your modem), it stops at the station. It's not that your modem will not drop the connection, because it will, the problem is that without call waiting, your modem has no idea that an incoming call was even attempted.

i hope this makes sense, i tried explaining it as best i could

Kyle015

Thanks for the help guys. But you guys are saying that if I got call waiting, I could confiure the modem to disconnect when a call is coming in?

No configuring needed. As a matter of fact you would have to configure it to NOT kick you off by disabling call waiting.

KingCody explained it very well.

Without call waiting, any incoming call attempts are totally invisible to the PC modem.

With call waiting, the line will "beep" to let you know there is a call.

In some cases this is suffivient to make the modem drop the call (it's not designed to do this bit some modems cannot handle it, see it as "noise" and drop the line)

In other cases the modem will just carry on and ignore the "beeps". The better the modem and connection, the less likely it is that you will get the connection dropped when a call comes in ironically.

If you have a V.92 modem and the correct drivers, it may correctly detect the beeps and pop up a window to allow you to disconnect, but its apt to be a bit hit-or-miss.

You can buy a device to detect the call waiting beeps though, it will alert you.
In NZ, its looks like this:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6837

But you still must have call waiting enabled.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online