1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by spiderjohn, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spiderjohn

spiderjohn Thread Starter

hello, folks. Got a question

Can a modem be half-baked?; Or is one dial up modem superior to another?
    Let me expound.
    I have two desktops in seperate rooms. One phone line in. So far in the boonies I can't get broadband without going satellite which I consider an expensive ripoff + I can't afford it.
    One computer very old and basic (we're talking a 7 year old emachine with a 20g HD) Hasn't been turned off in about 5 years. just keeps on going. This one is the faster with about a 40 to 42 connection spd.
    Other computer is a HP one or two years old. much faster computer but slow as mud on the net. Connects at 26 to 28 and runs like it. There is nothing I have not tried. The modem fried once and I put in wal-marts finest if you know what I mean. When I try connecting that computer to the same outlet as the other the speed remains 26. So it can't be the outlet. If I have to purchase an expensive modem I will but I first want to know if it will help.
    So, can a modem be crappy or half-baked cuz it does connect and troubleshooter says it is working properly. Phone company has tested and claims line is fine.
    Thanks for your help-Rick

2. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

Personal experience. Tried a US Robotics external USB modem from Wally World. Considered 24k A good speed with 5 different internal modems, 2 on this machine. I now connect around 36-40+ and actually run at 36 most of the time. It's still a Winmoden, but much quicker.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ditto what Davec has noted.When I was on dial up with internal modem,connect was 28.8.With external went to 37-42.Not speedy,but certainly better.

4. spiderjohn

spiderjohn Thread Starter

Thanks, guys

Ok. so go external. No problem. And your saying no difference in which external; Wally's Robotics (which is what's in there now. only internal) or someth'n twice as costly from best buy. No difference. Is that the scoop? Thanks.
    But it still has me stumped why my newer computer with wally world internal is only half as fast as my old computer with a cheap internal. Still wondering if a modem can be half-baked. That is; broke somewhat.
    Thanks, again-SpiderJohn

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

I used a US Robotics.
    If you have tried 2 modems and the speed is the same,my guess would be that your current modem is working as designed.
    The other thing you could look at with your internal modem is
    Control panel/system/hardware/device manager/modem
    select your modem,then modem and look at your port speed.If it is at max,bring it down to 57,if not at max,make it so.And while you are there,go to diagnostics and run a query on the modem.Maybe it is posting up some kind of connect error,but probably not.
    Also,if you can find a web site for the modem,see if there might be a newer driver for it.
    And this is probably way out of the box,but,are both pc's running the same anti virus program and firewalls.Could be some kind of resource contention,but I doubt it..

Another thing to look at is task manager(cntl/alt/delete).See what's running.Is something taking up cycles that shouldn't.Probably an other blind alley,but maybe worth a look see.

Are both pc's dialing the same access # for your ISP?If you have a local choice,try another tel#
    If you can contact your ISP,see if they might be able to provide you with a modem init string that might help.

That's about all I can think of.

Good luck

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice