1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azncompman, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azncompman

azncompman Thread Starter

I have a us robotics 56 k modem. it takes forever to connect. like 2 or 3 minutes. it ain't my service cuz my other comp only takes bout 20 sec. Also this might be a common prob, but y does my connection only go at 28 k when i have a 56k modem and service.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It could be the modem, as like branded modems work best together. It could be the phone line, some phone companies stack lines on so called slimp loops which can handle up to 8 phone lines using one cable (plays hell with modems), or interference on the line. It could be the configuration if you have alot of un-needed protocols in your network settings.

Most dial up ISP's advertise 56k but average around 33k in data tranfer. So it could be a matter of looking at connection speed on one PC, and data tranfer speed on the other.

3. azncompman

by data transfer do u mean the web page loading or downlad speed. And i heard that you can speed up the dialing process by entering some extra command in the modem log. any truth in dat?

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Anzn:Here is what I have done to speed up dialing.I have an external usr 56k v92 modem:
    Go to the connections tab from your Modem properties screen,then onto the advanced button.In the extra settings box type:
    s11=50

press the space bar once and type

s10=5
    Click on OK and then OK again and click on close.
    Re your connection problem,has it always been like this or is this a new problem with this modem
    Your isp may have different #'s for your type of modem(56kflex,V92,etc.)Mine does so I always use a # that matches my modem capabilities.
    Your ISP or USR may be able to give you an init string that might help.Just a thought.
    Cheers.

5. azncompman

Yah i think my isp has multiple connections and i think i'll check for another number.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice