1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starchild, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Apparently there are 2 different kinds of modems?

Every PC I've had (not new models) have a modem with a long plug in side, divided in 2. One longer than the other.

I've been looking for a modem to buy, and ones I see new have one short plug in side, and look like they're reversed (like even if the plug would work they screw in bracket would be on the wrong side)

I was looking on ebay at pictures of modems, and found ONE that looks like mine, but it was $44 (used) This one also said PCI which I think is what the new (lower priced-with one short plugin) ones are.

Maybe the older ones have the longer (divided) plugs and cost more?

Also, is there one COM port that a modem is supposed to go in on? One that works, or works better/faster?

I've been reinstalling a modem, to try and get it to work faster, and each time it goes on a different port. I remove it each time before I try again. It's been on COM 1, COM 2 and now is on COM 5.

How do I get it on a certain COM? Usually only one COM choice comes up when I install it. Now it has COM 1 and 2 showing (with nothing on them) and says it's on COM 5.

This is probably simple, but still confusing to me. I haven't done much with computers (like gotten into other parts- mobos, for example) but so far, it
    seems like modems are the most confusing of all. Getting them in, a driver and then having the computer recognize them, etc. Maybe I just THINK confusing with it.

Maybe there's a basic tutorial about modems and com ports someone can point me to?

Thanks,

Carrie

2. n2gun

n2gun

3. craisin

craisin

I have pulled heaps of older PCs to pieces Quantum HDDs have Lucent chips on their circuit boards and work well with Lucent Win Modems. Western Digital HDDs are not really compatible with Lucent Modems it will work but,there must be a better match for less probs. my experience tells me this :D

4. winbob

winbob

Craisin,

SAY WHAT???? :confused:

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

starchild, I think the description you give means that your PC's have used ISA slot modems. They are different to PCI slot modems, and are not interchangeable.

It is probably hard to buy an ISA slot modem these days as no recent motherboards have ISA sockets (only PCI).

PCI modems are "software modems" and are prone to issues. They do not use COM1 or COM2, but their driver software creates a "virtual" port of COM3 or higher. These ports do not show up in device manager, they only exist in software.

A software modem (winmodem, PCI modem, softmodem) is totally dependent on every other piece of hardware and every bit of software running on the PC to play nicely, or they give trouble.

The old ISA modems and the external RS232 (not USB) modems are independent and have little problems in that regard. But external serial modems are expensive, and ISA modem don't fit new PC's.

6. craisin

craisin

in simple terms Winbob mix and match components will work but there will be conflicts as all the different brands have different software. And your better to get components that use the same brand of chips as each other. Kiwiguy has some good points. Software modems put a bigger workload on the motherboard and CPU. But all PCI cards comunicate between each other to take some of the work load off the CPU.

7. craisin

craisin

Yeah right Kiwi hes talking about an ISA modem sounds like "Trade Me NZ" has better prices I saw a box of old Modems and Network Cards for a pittence

8. winbob

winbob

Craisin, without getting into a pissin' match here, I believe most of what you said above is inaccurate. Can you point out the source of your statements on incompatibilities between HD's & Modems,........and PCI intercommunication that offloads the CPU?

Also, the "conflicts as all the different brands have different software." I don't get it?

Call me slow but I'm having a tough time with those statements. Please clarify, I'm always open to learning new things. :confused:

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Hmmm...

I would like to learn that as well, winbob.

News to me, but then again I have only been working on PC's since 1981.

Hopefully craisin can enlighten us.

10. craisin

craisin

the offloading of the CPU by PCI devices I read about that in a big book called A+ Certification that I donated to my local Computer Repair Shop in an attempt to stop the guys *****-slapping each other but alas it didnt work. About a loose collection of Misc parts may have kept you in the industry for 20 years and when they are sick of that you will sell them matched products as well. Oh and you were in charge of getting rid of pests. Would you like to explain that?

11. craisin

craisin

Oh Starchild there are many more than 2 types of modems. Seems to me an external is the best

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    craisin, with out trying to be insulting, I agree with winbob, and like kiwiguy would like to enlightened as to your expertise in the matter. HDD's and their associated electronics have absolutely nothing to do with the modems that are installed in a system. While you may get an occassional conflict between installed PCI cards this is usually due to IRQ sharing. And rarely because of a true conflict betweent he PCI Cards themselves.

If you would like to help this is a good thing, but offering help that is incorrect or of nothing to do with the problem is less than helpful.

Starchild, unless you have a very old computer you can use a PCI modem. Zoom Modems tend to be on the good side of things. 3comm/us robotics though a bit more pricey tend to be good as well. Buying a good modem with Voice/Fax/Data capabilities will give you many more options of use though are priced a little higher.

13. winbob

winbob

Gosh Craisin,

You really should have READ THE BOOK before donating it :rolleyes:

Gee, your harsh words have totally spoiled my weekend and made me use up all my Kleenex. :cool:

I have to give you this one....I'm not good at pest control...you're still hanging around. :eek:

Now you can have the last word. I'm thru wasting time on you. You contribute nothing, and use up disk storage on the server (n)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice