modem rarely works with second phone line

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yusuf21

I have a Pentium II 400 using Win 98 and a Motorolla SM56 AD04 56K winmodem. I got the computer last september and I've been using a phone line for internet access. But since I have 2 phone line and the phone line I am not using has call waiting, I decided to use my second phone line for internet access.

Initially, the problem was every once in a while ( every 2 - 3 days), I get connected with this second phone line, but most of the time, I get 'No dial tone', even though the phone cord is plugged in and is tested to work with the phone. When changing to this phone line, I changed the phone number settings. ( With this settings - I was able to connect to the internet with the first phone line - the one that I used to use for internet access ).

A day before changing my phone lines, I installed a shareware called Modem Booster (which is suppose to tune up your modem so you'll get faster speed - downloaded from download.com ). Also, I made sure that I uninstalled the shareware before I changed my phone line.

Could it be that 'modem booster' ruined the settings in my modem? That's what I thought initially so I installed modem booster with my second phone line ( I was able to connect to the internet for 3 days but then the line didn't work anymore. Next, I upgraded my modem driver which did not help at all. Could it be that my second phone line doesn't have enough power ( or something) to provide internet access? HELP.

By the way, the phones were always working fine , so it's not that my phone lines doesn't work. Also, Modem Booster didn't even speed up my connection.

Thanx in advance.

How many phones are hooked up to this second line? There is a limit to how much you can connect to a given line... but it is pretty high.

I would certainly hook back up the other line to see if it works consistently, just to rule out the computer. If it always works with the other line (change NOTHING on the computer) then it must be the line. If you have the same trouble with line 1, then we know it is the computer or modem.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech (free computer headset added 4/22/2000):
http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

yusuf21

The second phone line only has one jack so I can either use it for the internet or the phone.

Whenever I connect with the first phone line, I always get connected so I guess the problem is with the phone line.

Thanx.

Does the phone line that you are having a problem with have an answering system through the telephone company? If so you need to make sure that your messages are cleared before you can use it to connect to the internet. When you have messages in your voice mail the dial tone will beep and your modem will not recognize this as a steady dial tone and therefore give you a "dial tone not detected error". Good luck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online