1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem rebooting constantly... at my wits end!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ahha82, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahha82

ahha82 Thread Starter

ISP: RCN
    Modem
    - Old: Arris SB6183
    - New: Linksys CM3024 (docsis 3.0, 24x8)
    Router
    - Old: Asus RT-ACRH13/AC1300
    - New: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

My hypothesis: I began using my friend’s login, who also uses RCN, to access tv apps (e.g. ESPN, TNT, etc.) on my fire stick around the time all this began happening. I believe this somehow created a bug on the modem.

Situation:
    About one month ago, my modem dropped/rebooted and did not come back, so I tried resetting modem and router. Did not have luck. Called ISP and recommend I unplug the coaxial cable as well when restarting the modem. Did it and worked for about 2 weeks, but the rebooting started again. Did the same procedure and everything was working. Happened again about another week later, this time it kept dropping without any rhyme or reason. I read on a forum that it could be the Iv6p and to disable it on my router; it was already disabled. I also got advice that it could be my phones and to turn on/off the WiFi on the phones. Tried it, had a little success when I disconnected the phones and only had the computers on the network. I was able to get a good 4 hours, but when I went to sleep, I connected my phone and the modem rebooted again.

Finally decided to buy new equipment and figure out which piece of hardware was causing the problem. I stared by swapping out the modem. Was working ok for few hours, but same issue persisted. Switched out the router, keeping the same SSID and password so I did not have to change all settings on all devices. Problem persisted. Switched the Ethernet cable (was using a 25-ft Cat 6 flat cable) to a normal 3-ft Cat 5e. Same problems. Finally unplugged all internet devices, reset network hardware. Internet was up and running, and I proceeded to connect devices one at a time.
    Order of devices connected,
    1. Amazon Firestick
    2. MacBook Air 11”
    3. iPhone 6s Plus
    4. iPhone 6s
    5. MacBook Air 13”

I left printer, amazon echo, nest cam and PS3 disconnected. Worked for about 2 days, but the problem returned. I even tried leaving home with no devices connected to the network, but I would still get reboots. Now I need to leave the modem (the new one) disconnected for at least 10 minutes before it will be running again. Occasionally I can squeeze out a few hours while on my laptops, but once another device, especially the fire stick or phone connect to the network, connection will drop not too long after, maybe 10-20 minutes.

I have yet to try swapping out the coaxial cable, which is my next step. I’m 99% sure the ISP will send a tech to swap out wiring, which may or may not work, but certainly won’t be able to fix my problem. So now I have turned to this forum.

Please help... I have been living under my tv resetting my router for the past 1-2 weeks.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have a account with RCN and are you using your account?
    If not, why not?

3. ahha82

ahha82 Thread Starter

I have only internet with RCN. My friend has TV + internet with RCN.

4. ahha82

ahha82 Thread Starter

ISP tech came out. Found that the transmit power was 49 dbm. He said it should be in the range of 20-50, just showing me a couple gauges on his computer. He took off a filter on the outside cable, which dropped it down to 48. He said that it’s likely due to a splitter somewhere, but he could not find one, neither could I when he left. He also said that it could be the high level on the pole outside, saying it was at 40, which is on the high side. He said ISP may or may not do anything about it. Before he came, Internet was working for about 16-17 hours with most devices connected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice